View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 09:48 AM   #21 (permalink)
StephenSa
Psycho

Hoo boy, more Atkins debating! Well have no fear, to paraphrase the Bard, "I come not to bury Atkins but to praise him." A little over two years ago I weighed two hundred pounds at a towering five foot six. I was round. Rotund. Fat. No muscle mass to speak of, just fat. Man, I would sweat when I ate I was so out of shape. I was tired all the time and always felt a little sick. When I started to develop man-boobs I drew the line! Oh no. I was not going to be that guy! I bought the Atkins book, read it cover to cover and followed it religiously. As others have said, at first it was tough. I LOVE Guinness and as part of the program I gave up beer. I completly quit going to the pub. That and giving up pizza were a killer. At first I ate a lot of red-meat, bacon, that sort of thing but I grew tired of that and switched to more chicken and fish meals with the red meats in moderation. Initially I was ravenous but after a few weeks I rarely felt really hungry. My portions grew smaller and I always felt satisfied. I incorporated exercise into my diet (a must!). I started slow, walking for thirty minutes a day at a brisk pace. That quickly became and hour then an hour and a half. I bought a used Soloflex and started weight training in the evenings. I tried to incorporate some sort of movemen/activity into everything I did to keep the metabolism up. Long story short, I lost forty eight pounds of fat in eight weeks and put on muscle as well. I went from a forty inch waist to a thiryty one inch waist. I had to buy all new clothes and it was great! I've been on Atkins for two years now (the maintenance diet) and am in great shape. I just had a full physical including blood work and my doctor tells me my cholesterol, etc are all at perfectly healthy levels. Some people don't like Atkins, I can live with that. Hopefully those that knock it have at least read the book and are informed about the ideas behind the diet. If you're going to argue against something at least know both sides. Atkins worked and is working for me. If you try it and it works for you, good for you too!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73