View Single Post
Old 01-28-2004, 07:46 PM   #69 (permalink)
JumpinJesus
Junkie

Quote:
Originally posted by ARTelevision
Perhaps. It's a real problem however - this continual comparison of conditions in Nazi Germany to current events. It's truly bad rhetoric and is evidence of a tendency to exaggerate beyond rational bounds.

While I agree with your assessment, I think what most people are trying to do is to use the most glaring example they can think of to demonstrate a government that's gone too far. Since most people do not want to go into too much detail explaining the process of how post WWI Germany gradually devolved into facism in a willing manner, they use a quick comparison to make their point.

I could be wrong, but I don't believe that they are trying to insinuate that our current administration is on par with Nazi Germany. I think the point they are trying to make is that an unchecked government can get out of control.

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sixate,
Based upon your final post, I'm not certain whether you're still reading or not, but let me attempt to address your point, "Who violates people's rights more than criminals and terrorists?".

You are absolutely right. Law abiding people do not violate people's rights and the violation of a person's rights is a criminal act.

Now, allow me to ask you: Has a criminal ever held office in our government? By your definition, I'm speaking of anyone who has committed a crime, convicted or not. I'm certain that we can both agree that there have been criminals within our government, including many who have never been charged with a crime. Using a logical argument, wouldn't it seem to follow that if a criminal violates the rights of others, then our government could seemingly violate our rights?

Not to mince words here, but let's be honest...if a person can be considered a criminal even if he or she has not been convicted but has simply committed a crime, then is there anyone among us on this board who can claim they are entirely crime-free in their lives? No littering, speeding, failing to buckle a seat belt...? Is there anyone who can claim that they have not violated any City, State, or Federal laws, ordinances, or statutes? Petty, yes, but crimes nonetheless. If any of us have committed a crime, even as benign as dropping a gum wrapper on the ground, then can any of us truly say that we have nothing to worry about since we're not criminals?

And yes, I am ineterested in intelligent debate on this point. We can get into further details if you choose to respond.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73