View Single Post
Old 12-11-2003, 11:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Zeld2.0
Cherry-pickin' devil's advocate

Quote:
Originally posted by Ustwo
Be interesting if China has the balls to DO anything if Tiawan decides to vote anyways.

Of course we will defend them, so I doubt China will do anything if they are smart, its not time for them to threaten WWIII, they aren't ready yet.
Not necessarily true. Myself having heritage in China and family members on half my family from China (hell my grandfather fought the communists, then the japanese, then the communists again with the Nationalists before going to Taiwan with the family) - I can say that a lot of the situation isn't so easy as it was before.

Before the U.S. recognized China it was simple - Taiwan was the real government. People do have to realize that Taiwan is not considered a nation by the U.S., despite the rhetoric we have, and supporting Taiwan or not is much more complex than "they invaded, we fight, etc."

China honestly is in no need to take Taiwan, if anything, much of it is principle and grudges left over from 50 years ago. China still suffers from many humanitarian issues and violations and what not, but its defenitely different from the Mao era. China has gone a long way in the last 10 years, and their influence in world economy is defenitely a large one. Any war with China right now would prove to be a huge blow for the U.S. economy, which is still in recovery mode.

And the fact is, going to war over Taiwan is not in teh greatest interest of any nation, and most people from Taiwan agree that the U.S. probably won't be willing to go to war so readily over any issues there right now. In the Cold War, stakes in Taiwan were larger as part of the containment of Communism. Now in the post-Cold War, containment and what not are not such alrge issues.

As for my take, I have mixed feelings on this. On the one hand, I love Taiwan, and I wish democracy and freedom could be seen throughout all of China, not just Taiwan. On the other hand, realistically speaking, Taiwan is a sinking nation, and it would prove far more beneficial to Taiwan to join with China, provided China is willing to continue its trend in improving the nation.

And I do emphasize to everyone that much of the issue isn't political or anything, much of it is ideological grudges left over from years and years of both sides being brainwashed by their governments into saying they were "right" and the othersides "wrong." Much of the arguments between the nations are purely based on symbolic meanings, and not necessarily realistic claims. And do note that Taiwan is not a nation even recognized by the U.S. - in fact it is recognized by very very few nations, and thus in the event of war with China, its not so easy as in the past to have the "demcoracies vs. communism" because the lines have been blurred by far.

Last edited by Zeld2.0; 12-11-2003 at 11:30 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73