View Single Post
Old 11-20-2003, 09:07 PM   #10 (permalink)
Moonduck
Junkie

j8ear brought up a point that I was remiss to not include. I assumed that everyone knows that shooter ability is the first part of the accuracy equation. I also responded in that vein as the original poster said they could "hit things" with a revolver, thus saying the shooter is doing his job on at least one level.

Good guns are capable of more accuracy than the shooter is. What I was discussing were, essentially, not so good guns, and discussing what can go wrong in the manufacture and design stage to prevent a gun from being properly accurate.

I too have fired properly smithed autos that were absolute tack-drivers. A friend has the world's ugliest 1991-A1. It's truly hideous. It has a plumb browned Essex frame WWII vintage, a horrid hack job of checkering on the front and backstraps, the tackiest (as in sticky) rubber grips you've ever seen, a full length sight rib, and a polished Series 70 Gold Cup National Match Colt slide that has been *shudder* cold blued by hand. It's truly hideous. It does however, shoot so well that it will darn-near correct your mistakes for you. Then again, my cuss-ugly and abused S&W M-37 is the most accurate revolver I've ever fired. Luck of the draw.

As to the classic revolver vs automatic debate, I say, for any specific task, find an action (ie revolver vs auto) and caliber combination that suits your needs, then find a good quality gun that has both qualities and you find yourself comfortable with. At that point, shoot, shoot, shoot, shoot, and shoot some more.

I find that, all things being equal, I am more accurate with a revolver, and generally more comfortable with them. In any situation wherein capacity and reload speed is not a major issue, I tend to opt for the revolver over the auto. I have worked armed security, and worked in positions where concealed carry was a very good idea, if not a necessity. My firearm choice changed for each circumstance. I am not the kind of person that thinks there is One Gun for every task, every season. There isn't.

I own a fair number of firearms, and each occupies a niche, a purpose (even if that niche is something as simple as "I like how it shoots"). I like having a bevy of choices and the ability to match my load-out with my task at hand. There are guns out there that allow for a broad range of applications, and I own a few, but I like being able to swap out if need be. This does require that a lot of time be spent familiarizing yourself with every piece in your possession, but the results are worth it if only because shooting is shooting. I don't care what sort of gun you pull the trigger on, if you are practicing proper technique, it will enhance your ability with any firearm.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73