View Single Post
Old 08-29-2003, 11:21 PM   #6 (permalink)
Strelich
occasional iconoclast

I'll throw in what led to Activision's response above.

Quote:

After discussions with Activision, the following websites will not be carrying the Call of Duty playable demo, even after its exclusivity is over. This is due to Activision's decision to not accede to the reasonable request of making the demo freely available to all game enthusiasts at the same time.

3D Downloads
3D Gamers
AusGamers
Blue's News
EdgeFiles (Callofduty.org)
FileFront
FileShack
GameGossip
Gamer's Hell
Loadedinc
Tiscali Games
WorthPlaying

The above-listed websites hope to show Activision that the enthusiast industry is strongly opposed to the idea of exclusive demo releases.

Feedback from our users shows that gamers hate to be forced through a single point of congestion if they want a demo right away. While these websites are actually competitors, this competition provides the freedom of choice that enthusiasts want by offering the widest possible distribution of any demo (a sample intended to interest as many gamers as possible in the full product, after all) rather than the most restricted one.

Therefore, something this disrespectful of the industry as a whole has inspired all of these websites to stand together in this open letter.

Deals like this hurt the industry much more than they could possibly enhance a single relationship, and we ask for your support in sending out this message.

Played the demo a few hours ago. Nothing to wake the place up like machine gun fire up the wazoo.

Truth be told, I only realized of the game's existance when I saw on Blues News that a bunch of sites that are normally competitors made a stand and boycotted Fileplanet's exclusive. I had been waiting all day for the release of the LO:MAC demo. Of course, Ubi Soft steps in and says "it's done, we'll just sit on it for a month".

Out of sight, out of mind should be my new mantra after playing this waiting game.

Monty this seems strange to me.
The movies had that movie thing,
but nonsense has a welcome ring
and heroes don't come easy.

Last edited by Strelich; 08-29-2003 at 11:24 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54