View Single Post
Old 04-08-2010, 07:49 AM   #20 (permalink)
filtherton
Junkie

I'm inclined to agree with cimarron here.

It seems like you've got some sort of "If you want to be with me than you have to impregnate me." thing going on with her. This seems a bit creepy, but given the circumstances- her biological clock ticking down- not all that unexpected.

Is she the type of lady you could see yourself co-parenting with? Back when I was a free agent, I could always tell (or at least I though I could) which ladies I would be comfortable knocking up and which ladies I wouldn't trust to help raise a child. If she isn't mom material (it sounds like she is mom material), then forget about it.

You don't want to have kids. Por que
Quote:
I envision the common things that many people fear. Loss of freedom, living solely for the child, the stress that comes with. Deterioration of the relationship with my wife. Selfish maybe...but its how I feel.
These are fair assumptions. However, they aren't necessarily always in effect or as extreme as one might expect.

Considering you and the lady seemed to be having a swell relationship, it's quite possible that you'd be able to juggle a kid and free time. Me and my lady each find time to hang out with friends when all of our other responsibilities are taken care of. Sure, I haven't had the luxury of sleeping off a hangover until 3pm in years, but I'm probably better off for it. And you should only implicitly live solely for the child. You should live like the child's life and emotional well being depended on you, because it does. But you should also realize that if you are unable to take care of yourself (including being able to secure your own emotional well being), you will be unable to teach the child how to take care of itself in an emotionally healthy way.

It is possible that your relationship with the lady might deteriorate. It will definitely change as you find yourselves in uncomfortable situations where a life other than your own is at stake. You will probably fight more. But you will also get to see parts of each other that you never would have otherwise and this might make your relationship better.

Is your dad nearby? He seems to want a second chance at raising a kid right, perhaps you could get him to sign on for regular childcare (assuming you're comfortable with that).

Parenthood is frequently stressful, and if you're the type who can't deal with stress, then I'd avoid having a kid. On the other hand, for me the stress of raising a kid and managing my relationship with the kid's mother has made stress derived from many other sources seem a lot less intense. Plus, I've learned a lot about what makes people tick and how to manage fragile people diplomatically (the kid, not the mother- though PPD can be intense).

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73