View Single Post
Old 02-19-2010, 03:03 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strange Famous
follower of the child's crusade?

At work today...

....the Customer Services Manager (who is either mad, or "zany" or somewhere in between) had a meeting with her team. I used to be sheltered from this shit but since my company got bought out my desk moved to the open plan office (Im not moaning about that, a lot of people got laid off and I do get that moving desk and having to work in Birmingham (150 miles away) 3 days a week isnt a hardship compared to losing your job.

But anyway, half way though the meeting they all (the customer service people) starting shouting out random words in turn as some kind of "team building" thing, and the manager shouted out "nigger"

In the whole site there is one person of mixed race (white mum and black dad)...but that doesnt seem to me to be the point. I guess I do understand that on the one hand the n word is socially a lot more unacceptable than other racial slurs (like dago, or mick, or wop or paki or yid or whatever) and that maybe isnt logical. But I was also quite shocked to hear someone yelling that word across the office.

If I did it I'd expect to lose my job. But I guess I wont complain officially about it -I mean Im not black so I guess it doesnt effect me personally and the one person who is mixed race is in another building and wasnt there at the time...

Maybe Im over reacting.

Or maybe the fact I wont take up a complaint with HR is kind of the same reason there is are no black or Asian people working at the company (in the last few years there have been 6 or 8 black guys/girls working there but none stayed)... Ive never noticed overt racism but then again perhaps I dont notice it cos it isnt against me.

I really feel like I ought to take it up with HR or whatever, but I know I wont.
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62