View Single Post
Old 11-08-2008, 12:40 PM   #11 (permalink)
Amaras
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter Morgan View Post
I'm not saying cheating is ever a good thing, but this is patently untrue. Women cheat as well, and they cheat for reasons that are not at all different from the reason men cheat: something is missing from the relationship, often for very complex and not easily-fixed reasons. And it's not just something physical or sexual that's "missing", it actually most often an emotional lack. For instance, if you're a woman whose husband constantly nitpicks and complains, you might get to feel like nothing you ever do is good enough. It may never cross your mind to cheat, ever, until one day you meet a guy who constantly compliments you - rewards your efforts, tells you how talented he thinks you are, etc. You're now getting from him what you're lacking in your husband, and from there, it's easier than you think for an emotional attachment or "love" to result from that. Before you know it, you've got an affair on your hands.

That's only one small example in the very, very long list of reasons people might cheat. Yes, some of them are simply greedy or dishonest, but there's a reason why there are so many cheated-on men and women who sit back and simply can't understand why their partner would cheat, since they're still having sex, and thought it was good or satisfying. It's most often NOT about sex, it just ends up being a part of it, and for some reason, humanity is wired to find that the most repugnant or painful part of an affair - the fact that their partner's genitals touched someone else's.
I took a short cut. Mea Culpa.

I DO think when that lack is felt, however, it's important to address the issue head on, with your partner. Not to do so is a grievous error. Yes, we all make errors.

I am particularly distressed by this behaviour, as it can often leave massive destruction in it's wake. My Father brought STD's into my house when I was growing up. It caused untold emotional damage in many other ways as well.

It is possible that there are situations where it's warranted. I could imagine that if my wife was seriously ill for years (and sex was completely out of the question), that I might eventually discreetly available myself of a suitable, safe opportunity. I do not know that I would, but I CAN imagine there are such situations.
-My Mom
The function of genius is to furnish cretins with ideas twenty years later.
-Louis Aragon, "La Porte-plume," Traite du style, 1928

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73