View Single Post
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 PM   #38 (permalink)
smoore
Crazy

Bottled water should only be used for emergencies. If you are stockpiling for your own emergencies you can use 2 drops/gal of tap water to stabilize the stuff so it'll store 3-4 months easy. Doesn't even taste bad after a month.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlish
pig id be careful if i was you..

i do recall reading somewhere that the pvc in water bottles break down releasing some cancer causing agents or something along those lines.

im sure of it. i read it a year ago. ill see if i can dig it up. maybe some googlefreak here could find it
The problem with those store-bought water bottles isn't the plastic, it's the shape. Specifically the corrugations. They can trap bacteria and allow nasty stuff to grow inside. Simple cleanliness should work for a couple months. Backwash is bad, basically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth
I absolutely cannot drink the tap water where I live. It tastes like rot and death and minerals combined. It's undrinkable to me. So I confess that I......

....DO NOT BUY BOTTLED WATER BECAUSE IT'S A FUCKING RIPOFF!!!! I have a Brita water dispenser in my refrigerator that we fill up every 2 days with the rotten tap water and it comes out tasting like Zeus shared his cup with us. It's super cold and super fresh and super clean. My wife fills up a bottle with this filtered tap water.

There is no excuse to buying bottled water unless you're at a convenience store dying of thirst and you don't want to buy a soft drink. And even then you're getting ripped off because diet mountain dew doesn't come out of a faucet.
Arizona Iced Tea is my favorite. It's cheaper than water and has sugar in it. If I'm that hard up for a drink I usually need some sugar too.

re: the Nalgene scare: Oh please. BPE is a part of that plastic, no doubt. It comes out of the plastic when you boil water and put it in the bottles. Bottom line? You shouldn't let your Nalgene get hot in the car and then drink THAT water. On another note, if you're a serious climber you should use stainless steel bottles. But you already knew that, being a serious climber.

NALGENE IS FINE FOR GENERAL USE. Too bad the Nalgene company jumped on the BPE bandwagon and discontinued the manufacture of that bottle. I know 40 year male users who haven't grown tits yet.

Oh yeah, don't use bottles containing BPE to microwave your baby's formula in, either.

If anyone has any of these "banned" Nalgene bottles (1L preferably but 0.5L might be cool too) who wants to send it to me for the price of shipping, I will gladly receive it. I only have two of them and would like a lifetime supply.

Last edited by smoore; 06-30-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: BPE makes you grow tits!

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54