View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 11:38 AM   #23 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cynthetiq
sorry let me qualify that... Illegal Aliens on US Soil...

If you're dragging Guantanamo Bay into the conversation, then it's only right that it's not as simple as you are stating.
Right?

One of the current justifications for what goes on the southern border is that wooooooo! TERRRORISTS wooooooo! might sneak into the US via Mexico. That's one reason why Guantanamo and so-called "national security" issues are very much relevant to the discussion. Another is that the borders have been militarised. According to the Bush cabal's interpretation of the constitution, in the current state of exception, they, as agents of the Commander in Chief, have "broad discretion" to do whatever the hell they want. See section V of their 2002 memo on torture.

Tell that to someone on the no-fly list. Yes, you can theoretically canoe to London or Tokyo so in a certain, perverse sense of the word, you are still "free to travel". More generally, though, what good does it do us to be "free" to travel if we can't go anywhere?

You must have a passport to travel, but they don't have to issue you a passport. Furthermore, the one you have can be revoked if you do something they don't like. (Bobby Fischer had his taken away for playing chess in Yugoslavia and being an all-around jerk.) So, no, you aren't exactly free to travel. Remember it wasn't so long ago that a passport was not always necessary, not even for overseas trips.
and Ironically Mr. Fischer lived in Japan for some time, and wound up in Iceland.... I guess he teleported there????

you must have a passport to enter other countries... nothing to do with TRAVEL.

and again, NO FLY doesn't mean you cannot drive, cannot hop on a bus, take a train. So far as I can tell your OMFG YOU CAN'T TRAVEL!!! is just chicken little screaming... besides the point most US people haven't left 50 miles of where they were born.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

Last edited by Cynthetiq; 06-02-2008 at 11:40 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62