View Single Post
Old 06-02-2008, 05:52 AM   #14 (permalink)
Cynthetiq
Tilted Cat Head

Administrator
Quote:
Originally Posted by xepherys
Actually, that's not true anymore...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3512498.stm

Regardless, this is the law of a different country. Can anyone show evidence that Customs checkpoints are not within the US? I believe they are. Generally a US Customs checkpoint (say on the Detroit or Port Huron side in Michigan from Canada) is certainly on US soil. Is the Customs checkpoint at JFK somehow not on US soil? It is inside of the airport, surrounded by US soil. I don't understand exactly...

As for the data contents of your laptop, where are the limiting factors? Are there any? For US citizens, on US soil, you should be protected from unlawful search and seizure, regardless of "special" laws for Border agents. If there is SUSPICION of unlawful activity, then perhaps you are now a legal target for search. Random searches are bullshit, and are a big stumbling block for the TSA. We'll see how long all this really lasts once the current administration is pushed out. It's gonna be ugly for another 8-10 years, but things are either going to get "fixed" and be better, or things are going to get very, very bad!
I can only believe it is like embassies. They are considered foreign soil, but they obviously are on the soil of the hosted country. Thus if you were in Germany but in an American Embassy, you'd be considered to be on American soil.

TSA is not the same as Customs Agents, they may report to the same Homeland Security, but they aren't the same group of people. TSA is for departure and Customs is for entry.

TSA does not check your bags when you arrive at your destination.
I don't care if you are black, white, purple, green, Chinese, Japanese, Korean, hippie, cop, bum, admin, user, English, Irish, French, Catholic, Protestant, Jewish, Buddhist, Muslim, indian, cowboy, tall, short, fat, skinny, emo, punk, mod, rocker, straight, gay, lesbian, jock, nerd, geek, Democrat, Republican, Libertarian, Independent, driver, pedestrian, or bicyclist, either you're an asshole or you're not.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62