View Single Post
Old 06-01-2008, 06:42 AM   #8 (permalink)
Push-Pull
I'll ask when I'm ready....

Interesting. Now, I'm not an expert, but I am taking Applied Authority for a federal LEO position currently, and as I understand it, the purpose of the border checks is to ensure that a) no contraband is smuggled into the country, and b) all merchandise is properly declared, and c) all persons apply for admission (or prove admissibility) into the U.S..

This topic (in general, not the specific) has been debated by the courts since international trade was conducted via wooden ships with a lot of sails, and for all the arguments, the practice of searching vessels, cargo, and other containers for the aforementioned reason is still perfectly legal and perfectly in line with what our founding fathers had envisioned in the Constitution. (Well except for the admissibility part, that didn't happen until later. Even so, the courts say it's in agreement with the Constitution.)

If you think about it, electronic devices could be considered a "vessel", and anyone could bring software (aka, merchandise) in on an electronic device and easily sidestep the entire merchandising process. What does this mean to us? That as long as this is enforced, our economy (as well as many other economies), which is based on a significant amount of international trade, will remain on good footing. If anyone could bring anything into any country, the whole system "could" collapse, and bring even more hard times to not only the U.S., but smaller countries that have limited, but necessary, export operations.

I'd also like to point out that the 4th amendment prohibits unreasonable searches and seizures. Is it unreasonable for any entity to protect it's interests at its' borders?

"Some people are like Slinkies..... They are not really good for anything, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs." -Unknown-

DAMMIT! -Jack Bauer-

Last edited by Push-Pull; 06-01-2008 at 06:54 AM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54