View Single Post
Old 03-15-2008, 05:39 PM   #18 (permalink)
OzOz
Psycho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lasereth
I think it's the simple fact that some people are assholes and some aren't.
I'd certainly agree that that's a part of it, but I think that there's also the bit about them not experiencing any negative consequences. They do it because they can, and they are allowed to get away with it.

Quote:
If you're a bully as a kid, you get suspended or have to write sentences.
Nope. Not if you're on your school's flagship football team (or any other high-profile sporting team that you care to mention). One of the biggest bullies I've ever seen - who had self-esteem a mile high - was an all-round sporting "hero" (note sarcasm quotes - he really was a terrific sports player in just about everything, but "hero" is one of those words that gets used a bit too much too often) who had a regular habit of walking out of his own classroom while a class was in session, walking into another classroom where some of his mates were and starting a game of cricket or football in the middle of the classroom while a class was in session there. The school - one of our "elite" schools - did absolutely nothing. To the best of my knowledge, I was the only one at that school who actually did try to do something, and being a mere academic, of course I lost that fight.

Consequences for everyone else? Kids who were there to get a good education, and whose parents were paying thousands of dollars for the privilege, had their classes disrupted for the sake of a sporting "hero" who wanted to have a good time. One kid - the smallest and youngest in the boarding house that this "hero" (and I, unfortunately) lived in - was pulled out of the school after his arm was broken by said sporting "hero". I was almost pulled out by my parents as well, but I resisted as it would have meant going back to a hopeless local school that did absolutely nothing at all for bright kids.

Consequences for the bully? Yeah, right...

Quote:
If you're a bully an adult you get fired or go to jail.
Again, I wish. One of the most common complaints about repsonses to workplace bullying is that the target all too often has trouble getting their company to take any action whatsoever - and when they do take action, all too often it's the target, not the bully, who gets shifted into another position or invited to leave.

Consequences for the bully? None. Zip. Zilch. Nada.

Quote:
... they're just allowed to get away with it as kids. Some cases may have to do with self esteem but I don't think it's a majority and definitely not a defining factor.
I'd agree with you there.

Last edited by OzOz; 03-15-2008 at 05:55 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73