View Single Post
Old 02-04-2007, 10:28 PM   #16 (permalink)
pan6467
Lennonite Priest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdawg
I have a close friend that has been smoking weed most of his adult life. Each time he tries to quit, his mood becomes so...rocky is the best way to describe it, he gives up and goes back. It doesn't help that the weed is partially medicinal-minimally so-he suffers from debilitating arthritis in his spine.
So each time he goes 'on the wagon', it becomes a case of soothing his increasing temper and using diversionary tactics.
As a plain ol' cigarette smoker, I know how difficult it is to quit anything-I can't stop this even though I say everyday I 'have to'. The mood becomes explosive-testy doesn't begin to cover it. So, I can understand his dilemma.
Are there 'tricks' that one can use to ease the anguish and the temper?
Self discovery, seeing what is going on and stopping it before it goes any further. Lame answers, I know.

Most addicts see their problem, and they can confront themselves, (such as us smokers....) but when someone tries to talk to us about the problem we become defensive, as addicts we don't want others telling us how bad the addiction is, we know it already we don't need to be harped on.

That's one reason tempers could flare. We need to recognize people for the care they have in us by giving us the advice, but we must also explain to them that their harping adds excess pressure and triggers more use.

We also need to talk with them openly and honestly about how they can help us quit. That's when if the addict truly wants to quit will want to find what truly works for them to stop.

Another and probably the most common, subconciously we have told our bodies for years we need this substance to feel good, to get through the day, to enjoy life, etc..... when we try to quit cold turkey without any type of buildup, our psyche goes haywire. Our minds our saying, "Wait, we can't enjoy, we can't have fun.... we don't have the substance."

So our tempers explode and we now have our reason to use.

How do we prevent this.... well, we work our way into quitting. We start looking at reasons and triggers we use and think of new ways to handle them. We also need to explain to those around us that we are going to be grumpy and pissy and moany..... but as long as we stay clean we need the support from those around us the most. The best way to support us isn't to point out the crankiness and negative behavior (at first) but to point out the positives and how we are getting through it sober.

I say at first because there is no reason if we are truly in recovery to be pissy and moany for weeks after our last use. If we maintain that negative attitude, we probably have relapsed in our heads and it is only a matter of time before we relapse fully or find a new addiction to cling to.

Sorry so wordy, but helping people with and understand addiction is my passion and calling in life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevie667
I hope that Pan doesn't mind me adding this, but i've been addicted to a couple of particularly nasty things in my lifetime, which have both nearly killed me.

The best advice i can offer is want to quit. You have to want to get rid of what holds you, because it won't go otherwise. Thats the first, and in my eyes, most important step, but it is not as hard as you may think.
Very true words!!!!!

And no I would love to see others share how they overcame their addictions, it's not just informative to me but may help someone.
I just love people who use the excuse "I use/do this because I LOVE the feeling/joy/happiness it brings me" and expect you to be ok with that as you watch them destroy their life blindly following. My response is, "I like to put forks in an eletrical socket, just LOVE that feeling, can't ever get enough of it, so will you let me put this copper fork in that electric socket?"

Last edited by pan6467; 02-04-2007 at 10:29 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73