View Single Post
Old 01-08-2007, 07:58 AM   #18 (permalink)
aceventura3
Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizra
Me too! ....it just makes me want to puke.
And look what "got done"! Gee....Our economy sucks big time, and the rest of the world hates us now, the mideast is scarily unstable... take it to the bank dudes ......
Many in the world hated us before the war. Some hated us so much that they declared a "holy war" on us. Our economy is doing pretty well by most measurements. The mieast has been unstable for a long long time. Do you think if we left the middle east tomorrow, everything would be o.k.? If that were all it took, lets leave, but most reasonable people know that it is much more complicated than that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratbastid
I'm just responding to the most egregious ostrich-head-burying here:
You say my head is in the sand, but you seem to think that $45 for a case of coke was actually $45 for a case of coke. I ask the question, how do you account for doing business in war torn Iraq? That is a legit question. I don't like it, but I don't ignore the realities of doing business in undesirable places. If Haliburton is doing what needs to be done, perhaps the government should not have put the company in that position rather than making politically charged statments.

Quote:
But it had the power to "lobby" (read: bribe) its way into contracts that were vastly favorable to them and vastly unfavorable to the American people and the American soldiers.
Haliburton lobbies congress as does every other major corporation. If your position is that government is incompetent, why blame Haliburton? Why not hold congress accountable.

Quote:
Because they've had congress and the white house in their pockets? Hello: a former CEO is the freaking VPOTUS, for god's sake. Ethics? Who needs 'em! They've got buddies in Washington!
Haliburton controls the government? O.k...., yea right.

Quote:
Uh hunh. The same energy companies that have been investigated for windfall profits and opportunistic pricing? The same energy companies who have successfully lobbied for governmental protection while making these record profits? I'm not real sure you want to be making that comparison. Doesn't really help your case.
There is a difference between being investigated and being guilty of breaking the law. If energy companies broke the law making their profits, they should be held accountable. We know the only reason congress had hearing was to grand-stand for the voters back home when gas was over $3/gallon. Other than having hearings did anything actually happen? Oh, wait - the price went down due to natural market forces, andit had nothing to do with congress.

Quote:
I guess it's no mystery what I think about that...
Time will tell.
"A lady screams at the mouse but smiles at the wolf. A gentleman is a wolf who sends flowers."

Last edited by aceventura3; 01-08-2007 at 08:18 AM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73