View Single Post
Old 12-12-2006, 02:35 PM   #30 (permalink)
Silvy
paranoid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deltona Couple
I always love threads like this. It makes me laugh at people who think that if someone doesn't believe the way they do, then the original thinker must be stupid. Just because YOU don't see a use to a vehicle, and just because YOU cansee a reason to buy a minivan, doesn't mean EVERYONE that has one is stupid and senseless.
Deltona Couple, you're right! Absolutely right!

But, this thread is not discussing the owners of the vehicles as much as the vehicles themselves.

The larger SUV's ARE blocking other's views on the road. They DO decrease overall road safety because line-of-sight problems, impact increase in case of collisions, etc. What most of the posters in this thread seem to agree on is that SUV's (Hummers, Cherokee, etc) annoy others because of these reasons.
(In addition, they're less environmentally friendly, which also seems to annoy some non-drivers).

But, the thing that annoys me (and probably others too) the most, is the fact that few SUV-owners actually use the vehicle what it is intended for. Apparently YOU do, fine. Keep using it. But most SUV's I see driving around carry one person (perhaps a few kids on the way to school or such) and NO luggage / cargo / trailer / whatever. Seems that SUV's are more used for some mis-guided status icon than anything else.

(Oh, and if someone tows a boat trailer twice a year does not make it right that he/she should annoy traffic the rest of the year.)

And I'm not too sure about your argument. We're discussing the irritation caused by overly large personal vehicles. I don't care if the Hummer driver behind me is using it "for the right purpose"; he's still blinding me. Annoying the sh*t out of me.
From experience the SUV's rarely carry the load they were designed for, doubling the annoyance these vehicles give me.
If EVERYBODY used the cars to their design potential and mostly for that, people would not be so annoyed by them.
Compare with trucks: they're slow, they block the view immensely and in a collision they're the biggest bang. But they're not so annoying, you know why? Because they're necessary, and we all know that. Also they're rarely used for fun, status or pushing everybody ahead of them out of their lane.
And, at least around here, their speed is limited for those reasons.

Your argument does make sense in that "you shouldn't judge a book by its cover" and scolding individual owners/drivers is not fair. But in general terms, it can be said that SUV's are not fun for everybody, and that, on average, the SUV's are more of a nuiscance than a blessing.

Luckily there are not many SUV's around where I live, so the actual annoyance is minimal, but the point still stands.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73