View Single Post
Old 08-25-2006, 09:51 AM   #17 (permalink)
Socrates
Upright

Yesterday I couldn't sleep because I kept on thinking about what I had said and how it went down between my dad and I. It really began to bother me because my dad left the house late night and went somewhere and when he came back I think he had been crying and I realized that I HAD really hurt him which in turn hurt me. I know parents try their best and don't want to feel like failures which I think I probably told him that but in a different way. He wasn't their for a big portion of my life and even after REGARDLESS it had started getting pretty good up until lately and I don't know what came over me but I just started crying too, I had promised myself 3 years ago that I would never cry again but eventually I was hurt too and hurt someone else too and it just came out.

Quote:
Obviously you cannot be true to yourself and accept it, which is healthy. There are different ways to "Not Accept" this behavior. The number one way is to remove yourself from the immediate situation. You cannot control or change anyone else, only yourself. It's time *you* set the boundaries for how people are allowed to treat you, it's part of becoming an adult. And part of that is realizing that you may not please other people with your boundaries, and you know what? That's OK. You are in no way obligated to please anyone else with how you live your life (short of legal requirements)--and you CANNOT please others. If you live your life trying to please others regardless of how you feel about things, you doom yourself to an unhappy life and YOU STILL WILL NOT PLEASE THEM. Believe me when I tell you you can live your life sacrificing everything that makes you happy, everything that's important to you, one concept at a time, and at the end you will have lost yourself and *They* will still be unhappy. *They* will still want more.
LOL, that is soo true. I learned that the hard-way early on because I got used by soo many people but now I only help those that help me, kinda like a give and take situation.

Quote:
It is time that *you* decide if something is a stupid reason to get mad or whatever, not your parents. It's part of becoming an adult.
Anger is not bad. It's not good. It's just an emotion. Now how you choose to deal with it can be classified as good or bad, I suppose. You can use the momentum that Anger generates to make positive changes in your life.
I was actually doing that but I will most definatly keep this in mind. Thank you for your beautiful post.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73