View Single Post
Old 08-21-2006, 11:20 AM   #8 (permalink)
ratbastid
Darth Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJess
If I may ask.. how old are you? How old is your sister? Your parents? When were they diagnosed? Have either of them been like this before, or is it solely since they got sick?

It sounds to me like they are getting fragile and scared, and money is probably a huge issue for them. Perhaps it's medical bills, perhaps they are afraid of dying and leaving you nothing. They are likely terrified that they both might get sick and die without any kind of backup. They probably either need the money they stole and are too embarassed to admit it, or they are just being money-grubbing jerks.

I would have a very frank discussion with them about it. Money makes people do weird shit, and well... so does thinking you're going to die. If it were my mom, I'd be asking "look, is it that you need the money? I'm willing to help, but you've got to be honest with me. How bad is it?"

If they can't talk to you about it, and continue like this, I'd lay it out for them. Let them know this can't continue. And probably get out. At least if you had your own apartment, your sister would have someplace to hang out and do homework until she had to go home.

Bingo, bulls-eye, exactly.

Something's going on that they don't want to tell you about. It has to do with money. I think Jess's guess about medical bills is a very good one.

Now is the time to be a loving son and step in there and make a difference for them. This is an opportunity for you to be the bigger person. I don't mean condoning or putting up with what's going on, I mean that what an adult would do in this situation is to address it honestly and give your parents as much love and support as you can. In fact, you shouldn't tolerate what's going on for another moment. But that's not the same as moving out, blaming them, and giving up on them. This is going to require you getting bigger than your personal concerns.

You wouldn't really want to have to go through the rest of your life knowing that your got pissed at your parents and gave up on them just before they died, do you?

Confront them--lovingly--with what you're noticing. Ask them to include you in whatever it is, and promise to care about them no matter what the situation is.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73