View Single Post
Old 06-04-2006, 09:02 PM   #16 (permalink)
ngdawg
peekaboo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JumpinJesus
Actually, yes they are. In fact, according to Kohlberg's Theory of Moral Development, the first stage of moral development involves the avoidance of punishment.

The first stage of the first level is explained thusly:

When there is no punishment, the child at this stage believes that the behavior is socially acceptable and therefore is likely to continue the behavior.

Which really starts at home and unfortunately, with kids like this, doesn't. If you're not taught consequences from the very beginning, why would anyone expect such a child to behave better?
I agree, kids that you don't have contact with WILL just basically laugh at you, cuss you out, etc. But since I had to have contact with the majority of the student body my last year there, it wouldn't take but one time and then the next there wouldn't be much of either one. The same kids who in September would literally tell me to 'fuck off', in June were signing petitions and/or writing essays to keep me on(and more than one my reports got them suspended). One girl as a 6th grader accused me of striking her ( I didn't touch her, I caught her stealing); by 8th grade she would only deal with me when she was having a bad time.
There's something inherently wrong somewhere when a teacher's aide, later a security aide is the closest thing to a normal adult/child relationship these kids get. Is it any wonder they lash out?
Teachers' hands are tied way too often. Those not specifically trained to handle 'special' kids are thrust into it nonetheless with not much in the way of options. And to save money, boards of ed are hesitant if not downright refusing to increase the staff with the proper people.
Suspended for a broken arm? I know here there would have been an arrest. When my son was jumped, the Vice Principal told me I should have called the cops, but I didn't-the boys were suspended in-school for 3 days. In our system we have in-school suspension. Apparently kids, specially from middle school on up, found that if they were going to do something, do it big enough to get 3 days home, so out of school suspension is reserved for the worst cases, followed by expulsion and with expulsion, there must A) be an adult at home during school hours and B) a tutor available through our board of ed.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73