View Single Post
Old 05-29-2006, 06:57 PM   #5 (permalink)
shakran
Tone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaFox
i totally agree, it's crazy! i hate watching the news about it.
I agree as well. And believe it or not, a lot of the TV journalists (well. . those of us who have a clue anyway) agree as well. I'd frankly much rather devote that 30 minutes of airtime at 6pm to exploring issues rather than reporting on the latest drek that the consultants tell us viewers want to see.

Quote:
i gave up watching news on tv afew years ago, if i must watch, i'll turn on fox news

Quote:
given that such a large amount of people use myspace, if they say they are coming up wtih a story about myspace, instantly the youth population and parents with kids who use myspace will stay glued to the tv untill they hear what they have to say...
That's the going theory alright. And it works. My station did a myspace story awhile back and our daily ratings for that newscast did spike. My ratings with my newsdirector plummeted as I made a big fuss about the way we were initially telling the story (typical doomsday your kids are in danger crap.) We did finally tell it right (yes you can get hurt on myspace, but myspace as a community is statistically no more (and often less) dangerous than many real-world communities), but it took a LOT of fighting.

I think we came out ahead in the end though, because while the other 3 stations were busy screaming danger at the top of their collective lungs, we were the only station that looked levelheaded.

The frustrating part is that it took serious convincing to get them to cover it that way. I was trained as a journalist to believe that a journalist finds all sides of a story and then reports the truth. I was not trained to find only the juciest side of the story.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54