View Single Post
Old 05-22-2006, 08:49 AM   #24 (permalink)
Jinn
Lover - Protector - Teacher

Quote:
For some reason this reminds me of another thread. It sticks out because you were saying something about cussing all the time and not understanding what the big deal was...not understanding why everyone chose to be offended.

And then here you are saying you think you have great self-control. Much moreso than people you know and hear about.

To me, this is contradiction. Or, if not, then maybe a bit of tunnel-vision.
Perhaps you should re-read that thread? I just did, and I see a consistency of purpose between my posts in that thread and my posts in this thread.

I argued the devil's advocate case in that thread; that people will always swear, no matter how you feel about it or what words you chose as "vulgar" words. I continued to argue (with mixed success) that the only mature solution was to stop letting other's offensive words bother you.

That too, was clearly an issue of self-control. While the swearer certainly has an obligation to exercise self-control and not swear, the swearee has a similar obligation to exercise self-control and not let it bother them. I argued the way I did simply because so many people do not feel that offense is under THEIR control. It's about taking control of your emotions and not letting them override your logic. Sound familiar?

Quote:
Where you see great self-control, others see something different entirely.
This is apparent, and has been discussed at length. I realize that certain users of this board consider me to be lacking in self-control, and its very likely that I'll never convince them otherwise, short of meeting them in person. I'm okay with that, but I'd like to avoid continously defending against other poster's PERCEPTIONS of my control level. I'd perhaps like others to analyze their own self-control and provide insight into (a) whether they consider themselves controlled, and (b) if they're interested in increasing or decreasing that control and why.

Quote:
It is a matter of perspective, obviously. You seem to become defensive when things like this are pointed out, which - to me, anyway - shows a lack of self-control. But like I said, that is simply my perspective.
Defensive, indeed; self-control is a personal trait that I hold in high regard, and you'll note that most of my posts are tinged with this bias. I'd like others' perception to be similar to my own, so I attempt to defend against misperceptions. It's evident, however, that online forums are not the place to convince others that their perceptions of your character, intelligence, etc are incorrect.

So as I've said before and will likely say again,
Quote:
I didn't (and don't) really care to discuss my own personal self control so much as get an idea of how much others cared about controlling themselves.
"I'm typing on a computer of science, which is being sent by science wires to a little science server where you can access it. I'm not typing on a computer of philosophy or religion or whatever other thing you think can be used to understand the universe because they're a poor substitute in the role of understanding the universe which exists independent from ourselves." - Willravel

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73