View Single Post
Old 03-21-2006, 07:40 PM   #13 (permalink)
Martian
Young Crumudgeon

Everything said here is personal perspective. That said, if you want a kick in the ass...

I dropped out of high school. I think that's probably fairly common knowledge around here. Those who keep up with me also know why I'm not around lately. It's because I'm working my ass off 40 hours per week plus overtime in addition to two night school courses (an additional 12 hours per week, not counting the piles of homework).

You know that question some people like to ask? When people ask me what one thing I'd do differently if I could, I don't hesitate with the answer. Dropping out was the absolute worst decision I ever made.

Granted, I left earlier than you did. But all those college or university courses mean jack shit until you have the paper to go with them. Those little slips of paper they give you at the end count for a lot in just about any field you care to name. You might luck out and be able to market a particular skillset. Then again, I tried that too. I am an accomplished computer technician with over ten years experience working on the damn things. When I was contracting and running my own business... well, I made some money, but I had to work my ass off for it. That was easily 40-50 hour weeks, sometimes 60.

If you don't like your major, it might be time to switch. And ultimately, you're going to do what you're going to do; I'm well aware of the fact that I have very little ability to change your mind. But if you want to know how the other side lives... I'm there and I wish more than anything else that I hadn't put myself in this position.

Stay in school. You'll rack up some big debts, you may loathe it for the entire four years or more you're there. But if you think life's tough now, try going out into the world with only a high school diploma to back you up. You're looking at menial jobs, no money, constant stress about how you're going to pay your bills, constant worry. You'll always have to prove yourself.. nobody takes a high school diploma seriously.

When I'm done my high school courses (which in itself will take a year and a half) I'm looking at five years of university to get into my chosen field. I keep finding myself looking at the people who tell me it'll be the best years of my life like they have some sort of disability. It's going to be hell; I'm well aware of the fact. But I've seen what the alternative is and I've decided that having an education is pretty much essential in today's world.

Take from that what you will, I guess.
I get through speakin' and I can't remember, not a word that I said

- Ben Harper, Show Me A Little Shame

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73