View Single Post
Old 03-20-2006, 03:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Hektore
Junkie

Thanks for all your replies so far, couple things I probably should have mentioned in my OP,(the first one of which will probably make me seem crazy) - I pay for my own schooling, well all the loans are in my name and I will be the one paying them back anyway. My parents don’t foot the bill(they can’t afford to). The only thing they provide now is a place to go for breaks and occasionally is a few bucks if things get tight for me and I need it. Along with that the deferred payment on my loans is “12 months after I cease to be a full time student” – for up to 25 years of continuous study. In terms going out and getting a real job, for my summer jobs I simply work wherever I’m going to make the most money. Which means I usually end up at jobs that work me 50-60 hours a week at some pretty crappy/dangerous places, so I have had a taste of what the real world would be like – minus being totally self-sufficient, which might be the problem.

abaya-Something that had never occurred to me was that it could be lack of structure. All throughout my life I’ve played football and held a job during ‘school’. This meant no free time because I had to do my work to continue playing ball and didn’t have time to do anything else…This hasn’t been the case for the past two years and my whole attitude about college has really changed since then. Also I've become rather displeased with my physical condition as I know I've been in much better shape, even though people tell me I am not overweight or out of shape I know where I can be. So yeah, I’ve been in a bit of a slide, it just has only started to reflect in my grades over the last year once I started to really get into some harder upper level courses.

lurkette-I am almost positive that my college allows for a semester leave as long as you provide a reason, something I also had not thought of, looks like there were more options that I originally thought. My campus is very small ~1400 students. So I think I may actually just go and directly talk to the dean about some of this since I’ve chatted with him several times about my absenteeism as well as around campus and he is a pretty reasonable/approachable guy.

Thanks for the input so far– more is always welcome.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73