View Single Post
Old 02-16-2006, 04:52 AM   #11 (permalink)
little_tippler
Leaning against the -Sun-

Super Moderator
I used to be pretty shy but I'm better at that now - I forced myself to deal with it because it can be impairing in certain situations. I am an introvert most certainly because I'm not great in big groups and social situations. I can deal with it, but I do need that alone time and I enjoy being on my own more than most, I suspect. Even sometimes with close friends, I love spending time with them, but then at the end of the day I like to go off on my own and "recuperate". Socially I can handle things fine but I don't like to be the center of attention (nor do I like to be put aside) and I'm not the life of the party, though I have my moments. I have come to a point in life where I can read other people a lot better so I can shake off my shyness and talk easily ( because I realise everyone else can feel awkward at times too) and often when I tell people I'm usually pretty "shy" I often get the response that they don't see me that way at all. With close friends I talk plenty and have no problems relating and interacting.

I'd also like to say that I'm fed up of people making it seem like being introverted is a bad thing and it's better to be outgoing and extroverted. It's not - it's just different. I personally much prefer someone who chooses their words and thinks about what they're saying before it just comes flying out of their mouth. If you listen carefully, some people talk a lot of shit. I prefer the complicity of a mutual silence far more than just talking about the weather and what I do for a living because no-one knows what to talk about. I don't want to be that person who always has an answer to everything and knows everyone. I'd much rather just be myself. /rant
Our soul from us is infinitely far.
However much we give our thoughts the will
To be our soul and gesture it abroad,
Our hearts are incommunicable still.
In what we show ourselves we are ignored.
The abyss from soul to soul cannot be bridged
By any skill of thought or trick of seeming.
Unto our very selves we are abridged
When we would utter to our thought our being.
We are our dreams of ourselves, souls by gleams,
And each to each other dreams of others' dreams.

Fernando Pessoa, 1918

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73