View Single Post
Old 08-22-2005, 12:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Strange Famous
follower of the child's crusade?

The most dominant sportsperson today...

What do you think?

Obv this question is kind of boased towards individual sports by its nature.

I thought of a few people before I came to an answer:

Tirunesh Dibaba - in the world champs she was just a completely different class to anyone else, and she is so young, I can easily see her winning everything in the next 6 to 8 years... cos basically if she is anywhere near the pace in the final 300 metres I dont think anyone can live with her.

Michael Schumacher - He has been consistantly at the top of his sport for several years, and if he has an even close to competive car he is always gonna be odd's on.

Tiger Woods - Again, I think he has been at the top of his sport for a long time, and i think he is the kind of player that if he hits form everyone else is playing for second, he is capable of playing rounds that no other golfer is capable of, and is consitently better than his peers even when he plays ordinary.

But I decided on Roger Federer

In the last couple of years, Federer has dominated tennis so much, he plays shots that only exist in the imagination of other players, but like the other people I listed, he combines brilliance with dedication, strength of character, a sense of fair play. In the last Wimbeldon final, there were a couple of moments when Roddick, a world class player with a massive serve, was just reduced to a bystander. I remember one game when Roddick was broken and it was just impossible for any player to have one that game... whatever Roddick would have done, because Federer just hit 4 brilliant winners from good Roddick shots... and then another point when Roddick hit a good heavy smash at Federer, and Roger somehow launches back a full speed forehand... and you could see Roddick just in disbelief, like "what can I do???"

So... I chose Federer cos I think his level of ability is so far removed from anyone in tennis today, possibly anyone in history. Rod Laver said he considered it to be a huge honor for his name to be mentioned in the same breath as Federer. Compliments dont come much bigger than that.
without being uncovered."

The Gospel of Thomas

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73