View Single Post
Old 07-19-2005, 09:45 PM   #30 (permalink)
Lasereth
Knight of the Old Republic

Just finished it. Some mother fucking idiot on the Internet purposely ruined the ending for me so I knew what was gonna happen the entire time.

Spoiler: It didn't ruin the book, but there was absolutely no shock factor when Snape turned out to be a bad guy and especially when he killed Dumbledore. I wish I could go back in time and not have seen the spoiler...some people are simply childish fuckwits that are out to ruin other's entertainment. Dozens of places on the Internet have ruined the ending already. Hell, there's a website out right now that's sole purpose is to ruin the ending to people who haven't read it yet.

Besides the ending being ruined, I honestly don't know what to think about this book. If I hadn't known the ending, I would have thought "where's the actual story at?" towards the end, which would have been really cool (I liked how in OotP you didn't really get what the book was about until halfway or more through...kept suspense up). Instead, I knew it was just trying to setup a mood that would be dramatically changed at the end. The more I think about it, the more I realize that this book's experience was basically entirely ruined for me by the idiots that spoiled the ending. It was like I had already read the book.

The horcruxes are a really cool idea. When Dumbledore and Harry went after the one at the coast, Rowling's writing was really put to the test, and thankfully succeeded. I was down right creeped out during the potion feeding part with the Inferi.

Somehow I knew that the seventh book wouldn't take place in Hogwarts. I remember thinking that the last book would be tracking down Voldemort after I read the second one.

The funeral scene was done pretty nicely. It was nice and emotional.

I don't have a problem with Dumbledore dying...I recall believing that it was gonna happen in the series early on as well. I just hate how it was ruined for me. I like how Snape is a true Death Eater...it would actually be a cop out to leave him as a "good guy." It's a nice change of pace to see the mean bastard in the series actually turn out to be deserving of the mean bastard label.

Some are saying the Malfoy character is ruined by this book because he's not mean enough to Harry. Well..let's see, he's been ordered by Lord Voldemort to KILL Dumbledore and let Death Eaters enter the castle. Does he really have time to be mean to Harry?

A very well written book that would have been much better had I not known the ending from the start. Fuck the internet dickwads that like to ruin books for people. I can't wait for the seventh book of which I will read in a padded cell, completely shut out from the outside world that is filled with purposeful spoilers.

-Lasereth

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73