View Single Post
Old 03-17-2005, 09:50 PM   #19 (permalink)
guthmund
big damn hero

I don't know why Congress decided to involve themselves.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by The State of the Union - 2004
The use of performance-enhancing drugs like steroids in baseball, football, and other sports is dangerous, and it sends the wrong message -- that there are shortcuts to accomplishment, and that performance is more important than character. So tonight I call on team owners, union representatives, coaches, and players to take the lead, to send the right signal, to get tough, and to get rid of steroids now.
Congress has always been about self-promotion and self-aggrandizement at whatever the cost. In this case, they can go about slamming Major League Baseball, get themselves on television a whole bunch and please the administration all in one fell swoop of subpeonas and a few days of looking outraged behind their microphones and name plates.

Instead of making an effort to really focus on something notable like...I don't know...we seem to have an oil crunch headed this way (like it ever left), the decline of the dollar, the enormous trade deficit, or perhaps the fiasco that is the Middle East, The Congress has decided to go after middle-aged men who wear tight pants and cleats for a living. Congress isn't serious. They didn't even bother to force the two players (Bonds and Giambi) that everyone is dying to hear from to testify. They didn't bother dragging up the NFL or the NHL. Two other professional sports organizations both with much more lenient steroids policy than the "new" MLB policy.

Do you think anything will come of this? I don't. They'll listen, talk tough and might put forth a suggestion that maybe in the future MLB might want to think about engaging the players in bi-lateral talks to discuss the possiblity of instigating a tougher policy concerning "performance enhancing drugs," which will be a list of things like power shake shit from GNC with no mention of steroids at all.

But they'll be on television a lot. And they'll make the rounds from news channel to news channel patting themselves on the back for what they did.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62