View Single Post
Old 03-15-2005, 08:37 PM   #1 (permalink)
Fourtyrulz
Psycho

I need some help guys!

My glorious and previously accepting state of Iowa just passed legislation (54-44) making marriage in the state valid only between a man and a woman. This has me bursting at the seams with commentary and I don't have anywhere to vent. How can I let my reps and my senators know what I'm thinking? And possibly how others can let them know as well. I've found the personal homepages of both my senators (D-Harkin, R-Grassley). Do I just email them my thoughts on the matter? I've never felt more helpless about the issue, maybe because this groundless fear and intolerance has finally hit home.

Edit: Here's the official story from tonight: http://www.dmregister.com/apps/pbcs..../50315004/1001

Quote:
House supports anti-gay marriage amendment

By JONATHAN ROOS
REGISTER STAFF WRITER
March 15, 2005
Supporters of a constitutional ban on gay marriage won their first major battle in the Iowa Legislature today, but opponents vowed the victory would be short-lived.

The House approved, 54-44, a constitutional amendment declaring that only a marriage between a man and a woman is valid in Iowa.

The state already has such a law on the books, but supporters argued the gay marriage ban must be enshrined in the constitution to protect it from legal challenges like those that have been mounted in other states.

"We didn't bring this fight on. We feel like the institution of marriage is being attacked through the judicial body," said Michael Hartwig, vice president of Marriage Matters of Iowa.

Opponents countered that the proposal is based on fear and carries a message of intolerance.

"The state is seen as unwelcoming...It's a tool to stop population and economic growth," said Sandy Vopalka, a gay rights lobbyist representing Equality Iowa.

She and her partner have been together for five years. "I don't see that our relationship has been any different from the families represented by the legislators," Vopalka said.

The fight now shifts to the Senate, which defeated a similar proposal a year ago.

"I'd be surprised if we could even get agreement to bring it up in committee. I don't see any willingness on the part of Senate Democrats to debate it," said Senate Republican Co-President Jeff Lamberti of Ankeny.

The Senate is split 25-25 between Democrats and Republicans, forcing the two parties to share power.

To become part of the Iowa Constitution, House Joint Resolution 1 would have to be endorsed by the current Legislature either this year or next year and the next General Assembly in either 2007 or 2008, then win voter approval in a statewide referendum.

Last edited by Fourtyrulz; 03-15-2005 at 08:43 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62