View Single Post
Old 03-03-2005, 09:55 PM   #2 (permalink)
Temporary_User
Psycho

I didn't read all of the articles posted above, I don't really care about any of the beef happening between these two people, or any celebs for that matter...
I read this article earlier today and I think it sums up what is happening, and what happens with all celebs.
Quote:
Jennifer Lopez and 50 Cent go where talent can’t take you
Flash for cash

by Mike Bell
Calgary Sun

Stop me if you’ve heard this one before, or if the bottle of Elmer’s glue that once was Mr. Ed has already been sufficiently flogged …

JENNIFER LOPEZ

BUT given a choice between style or substance, North America will, nine times out of 10, leave the latter crying, alone, in the corner of the high school gym as we try to cop a feel from the former in the middle of the dancefloor with Stairway to Heaven playing in the background.

It’s (Paris Hilton) proven (Nicole Richie) every (Jessica Simpson) second (Friends) of (People) every (Entertainment Tonight) hour (Keanu Reeves) of (American Idol) every (Meet the Fockers) day (Bill O’Reilly) in the type of clarity that would send even the most chronic alcoholic hurtling through the 12 steps in a day and a half.

If you further need to be mule-kicked in the goolies by it, take a look at the two performers releasing what are sure to be this week’s No. 1 and No. 2 CDs: Jennifer Lopez and 50 Cent.

Each hits the new release wall — Lopez with Rebirth this March 1, and 50 Cent’s The Massacre March 3 — with more star power and name recognition than Jesus Christ and the Prophet Muhammad combined.

But the amount of actual talent contained in both entertainers could be adequately measured with an eyedropper and a thimble — and a pint glass to top up the remaining space.

Fact: Jennifer Lopez can not sing.

It’s not opinion. It’s not a strongly held belief. It’s not something open to debate.

She cannot sing.

And every tuneless warble that comes out of that collagenically enhanced orifice of hers grates on the brain like a vinegar-coated thumbtack in a canker sore.

If this is her after studio wizardry, her real vocal prowess must fall somewhere between Linda McCartney and Ashlee Simpson.

As for 50 Cent, he’s not particularly gifted at his chosen profession either.

Even if you’re a fan, you have to admit his skills are weak — he raps like a heavily sedated dental patient, who’s gone 12 rounds with a footstool and a steep staircase.

But none of that matters. Both Lopez and Fitty simply have to play their roles and be, well, Jennifer Lopez and 50 Cent (i.e. cliches and stereotypes), while the others around them — many who are truly gifted at what they do — prop them up and attempt to distract them from their respective talent vacuums.

For Lopez on Rebirth, that means she has to be the more mature Jenny from the block, a streetwise sensitive soul who isn’t afraid to lay her heart on the line — or shake that substantial thang!

Unfortunately, there are fewer high-tempo hits on the disc and more dreary ballads, which — despite some pretty solid and at times inventive production — allows too much of her to be heard.

Much, much too much.

50’s sophomore album, on the other hand, plays entirely into his strengths — if you want to call glorifying and exploiting the ugliest aspects of black America a strength.

From the intro with gun shots and a woman’s scream, to the angry misogyny that they attempt to pass off as cute innuendo, and all of the tough talk and feud-picking in between, The Massacre is exactly what you think/want/dread it will be.

And what everyone, apparently, keeps wanting.
Flash, bling, entertainment, diversion, celebrity, fluff — call it what you want.

But what it ain’t and never ever will be is something of substance.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73