View Single Post
Old 01-21-2005, 02:39 PM   #20 (permalink)
guthmund
big damn hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by hulk
It's not a matter of a business choice, it's the fact that the hardware is incompatible.

The X-Box 2 is using a PowerPC G5 RISC (reduced instruction set chip). The X-Box used a Pentium III CISC (complex instruction set chip). That's the dinger right there, to get anything based on a CISC to run on a RISC, or vice versa, requires a whole crapload of reverse programming. Even so, it's still extremely inefficient. For example, Mac OSX runs at about 5% speed in emultion on a PC, and Windows runs at about 50% speed on a Mac.
All I needed to know. I hadn't planned on reading anything on it until the actual reveal to the public. You know rumors being what they are and all. Thanks for the information.

Quote:
And yes, they expect you to buy another whole new console. People with X-Box games generally have the X-Box to go with it, it won't automatically stop working once they get the next one along.
And straight into jackass.... No kidding they expect you to buy a whole new console. The point I was trying to make, albeit poorly, is what's the incentive to buy new X-box games when the New X-box console is shown to the public? Will there be no new game releases after the public reveal of the new console? If there are, what's the incentive to go out and buy the new games when a new console, which can't play any of them, is soon to be released? Why would I spend $50 on a new game when the new system (and all that goes with it) is going cost a nice big chunk of change just to get started?

Not to mention the fact that the x-box isn't petite and the new one is less likely to be so. So, once I shell out hundreds of dollars, now I have to find space for two of these behemoths (because I still want to play Halo 2, right?)on my shelf along with a ps2, a gamecube, cable/sat box and et cetera?

I know, I know makes good 'business' sense, but I prefer to see it from the point of the gamer and, all things considered, it looks like the gamer is getting screwed again. New console, new games, new extra controllers that have to be bought and DVD kits to purchase all at a nice hefty pricetag. Great for Microsoft and bad for the consumer, but it's pretty, no?

By the way, should I unplug my old x-box from x-box live before they get the 'next one along' to keep it operative? Should I unplug it from the wall or duct tape the ethernet port? I really want to make sure the old x-box isn't 'shut down' by Microsoft once the new x-box comes out.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73