View Single Post
Old 06-20-2004, 06:32 PM   #1 (permalink)
dalnet22
Crazy

Question involving drinking and somebody important

Ok, in short there is a 20 year old girl who's been an important part of my life, even though though I'm not her friend and I don't know much about her. Nevermind that part for a minute. All that's important right now is that if it wasn't for this person I wouldn't be here today, and I've been very concerned about her drinking habits. She's been getting wasted for several years now, and I know that she has gotten DUIs in the past. For some reason drinking is something that really bothers me. I'm 18, however I've never tasted alcohol and for some reason it's a goal in my life to stay away from it. Anyways, as I said I've been very concerned because not only is it illegal to drink underrage, but to see that she is putting herself and others in danger shows me she isn't playing it safe. It frustrates me so much that I want to go and make her stop getting trashed forever. I wish all alcohol would just disappear so she would never have to put herself in danger like that ever again, no matter how much fun she thinks she's having.

Obviously, it's not easy to confront somebody and tell them to stop getting trashed every weekend. It's also much more difficult when you hardly know the person, haven't seen them for years, and the girl does not like you very much. In fact, I know if I called her and told her to stop drinking or something like that she'd tell me to go straight to hell and hang up the phone.

I guess my question is, well, what should I do? I think what I'm asking help on is not really how I stop her, but how I stop myself from worrying about it. Sure she'll be legal in a few months, but that still doesn't make it right for her to go fuck herself up every weekend and put other people into harms way. However, I have to imagine that I sound exactly like her parents, something she doesn't want to hear anymore. She probably thinks she's old enough, living on her own, to do what she wants. I try telling myself to just forget; she's stupid and nobody can change that; I try to make her seem like such a terrible person in my head so it doesn't bother me so much... but there's nothing that works. If anyone has any advice on what to do I'd gladly appreciate it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that my niece was killed last week while playing some dangerous driving game while intoxicated. This has really had an impact on my feelings toward alcohol in general and this girl. She has a boyfriend, but if he lets her get wasted all the time, how much can he really love her? Damnit that frustrates me so much.

Last edited by dalnet22; 06-20-2004 at 06:36 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73