View Single Post
Old 06-03-2004, 10:42 PM   #9 (permalink)
billege
Watcher

**For the most on-topic part of my response, skip to the bottom**

I see a society dealing poorly with its sexual revolution. The women have rejected the oppression of man. But, they have not filled that space with their own empowerment. American women threw off men, took the jobs, and demanded power and equality. Though there are always cake-and-eat-it-too'ers (of both genders), women have taken the work and struggle that come with power and respect.

The Japanese woman seems to want all the power, respect, and expensive toys, without working for any of it. Instead they've rejected the notion of HAVING to work for it. The men's rule has ended, and a great void has been left.

The women sound lazy, self indulgent, and proud of their collective failure. I say failure, because unlike the American women, they have not forced themselves into the workplace. They have not said, “I will have the career I want, the man I want, and the family I want.” The women have instead said, “Well I won’t be some lazy housewife, subjugated to some man. Instead I’ll subjugate my parents and exploit them in the same manner I’m rallying against. This is the failure of not taking the next step.

The parents, for their part, sound unable or unwilling to kick anyone out.

The men. They have retreated to the corner and surrendered trying. American men and women are still struggling to redefine gender roles, but we’ve made a hell of a lot more progress than the Japanese have. Our women had goals. Goals can be dealt with, adjustments made.
What can you do when one gender collectively refuses to do one thing and instead does….nothing. What a waste!
American men were forced to adapt to our women because they weren’t taking our shit anymore. Blunt, but true. Men had to change the ideas about what they wanted with the new woman in the picture. The Japanese men have no adjustments to make. They don’t want to outright subjugate themselves to their women, and they don’t have any other choice given to them by these women.

When the options are:
1. Spoil me like my parents do.
2. Fuck off.
What is one supposed to do?

The men can, of course, realize and accept that they will have to change roles. It’s not 1950 anywhere. If that happens, maybe women will be interested in sharing a lifetime.
However, if the women aren’t interested in sharing, what can you do?

The situation seems defeatist to me on all sides. The men have not advanced their gender’s role. The women aren’t doing anything but refusing to serve men, without doing anything else meaningful. The parents are paying the bills. Enablers.

Sounds like they should read some American history. We’re trying!

I think the choice was made to live the uninhibited life instead of the sensible and restrained one. The middle ground is where progress is made. We are left with so many choices; we’re making bad ones because there is no impetus to make good ones. We have so many available choices, resources; there is no push to stay away from self-indulgence. The Japanese have chosen to wallow in self-indulgence. There is not growth in life like that. We have no great war pushing us to sacrifice to the common good. We have not a single cause uniting us in purpose.
The complete lack of inhibition comes from the lack of reason to inhibit. If I do restrain myself it is for my, or my family’s good; not some greater shared good. This lack of restraint is the result of a certain amount of success. We pushed for this state of economic and world strength; no one knows what to do with it. We could save a starving country, or watch TIVO. We could deal with a relationship / have sex, or jerk off.

The question “Why?” has no answer now.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73