View Single Post
Old 02-28-2004, 02:09 AM   #1 (permalink)
skier
Rawr!

Just 30 Hours of Famine?

I'm currently engaged in an interesting project. Provoked by this world vision site (below), I am going to discover my hunger threshold, as it were.

30 hours of hunger

for the link adverse \/
Quote:
What is the 30 Hour Famine?
The 30 Hour Famine puts hands and feet to your desire to help your students live a life of Christian compassion.
It will unite youth group members like never before. And the impact will last long after the Famine event is over. It can be the spark that fires up a person for a lifetime of reaching out to neighbors in need, whether they're across the street - or around the globe.

How does the Famine work?
It's really quite simple. First of all, the materials are provided, free of charge, by World Vision. Before your "Famine Date" (February 27-28, 2004 are the National Famine Dates, but your group can hold yours anytime) youth group members raise money through donors and sponsors to help the millions of starving and hurting children in some of the world's poorest countries, offering them a hope they could not otherwise have. The groups then go 30 hours without food, so that they can have a real taste of what hunger is like. During this time they engage in different activities, from community service projects to volunteer work to study, depending on how each group plans their own event. Afterwards the money raised is sent in to World Vision, and we put it to work in areas like Peru, Ethiopia, and here in the United States.

What does it take to help a hungry child?
Only $30 a month, just $1 a day, will feed and care for a child. Your group members can start by asking twelve people they know to donate $30 - that's one person for each month of the year. When they've done that, they will have raised $360, enough money to feed and provide necessary care to a child for a whole year.

This year, thousands of groups in more than 21 countries - more than 1 million teens - will unite with one goal in mind: to help children living in some of the most deplorable conditions on earth.
Countless lives will be impacted and saved. So get on board now. This can be the single most effective event you're a part of all year to make a real mark in peoples' lives. And this means both teens in your area, and children around the globe. Shake things up, and join the winnable war to save kids lives.

Now this site is proposing you go without food for 30 hours, because it only costs 30$ a month to "help a hungry child", and if you can empathize with a starving child you'll send money. I recommend you consider sending some money, it's a good karma boost, or even begin a 30 hour famine of your own. The national famine days are the 27-28th, so there is still time to start. I started out on this "hunger strike" with the thought that at least after 24 hours, i would be quite ravenous. However, when my companions did not begin to look like delicious pieces of steak, I questioned this whole hunger situation. I thought to myself, how long until I become hungry enough that my willpower will give in to temptation? How long until I begin writhing on the floor, aching for a morsel of food?

I decided about an hour ago that I would try to go without nourishment for a full week, or as long as I can reasonably stand. Foolish you may say, or even dangerous to your health. But the experiment still stands. I want, no I NEED to discover the limits of my body and mind. Now, I'm not a large man. I am 6'1 and 170 lbs. I am guessing that I will lose what little fat I have on me, and am concerned a little with losing muscle mass. Not to fear, at the 3 day mark, I shall go see a doctor and discuss with him possible ramifications of continuing my fast.

So why post this on the Tilted Forums? I wish to enlighten you, the TFP community, on the stomach crushing pain that hunger can be at times. I will be updating this thread at least daily.

Time: 25 hours (28th, 3:09AM)

Mood: Happy with a *touch* of curiousity

Hunger: In check. Slight stomach rumblings heard once in a while. Little bit of pain, suspect it's a taste of things to come.

Last edited by skier; 02-28-2004 at 12:30 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73