View Single Post
Old 02-18-2004, 03:22 PM   #1 (permalink)
GakFace
Go Ninja, Go Ninja Go!!

How Jokes Are Funny.

I'm a smart ass. I can openly admit this. Of course there is a bold line between Smart Ass and Dumb Ass. See a Smart Ass knows his limits and will shut up before he crosses a line. This is why he is SMART, and not DUMB. I used to be a dumbass in middle school, but I kinda of learned how claws hurt and fixed it up. I poke fun, but nothing more than what will get a simple chuckle out of someone. My jokes aren't meant to piss anyone off, but to make them smirk. If you can smirk at something, then your day can't be quite as horrible as you thought it was because I just got you to smile. So what does this all have to do with the topic? Next Paragraph Please.

Now see, when someone gives a joke, they expect something in return. Be it a smirk, a laugh, or even a retort back. In fact when a Joke is stated, you feel almost left out if you do NOT get a response. Well, Its happened too many times in IRC now that people just BAN ME as their retort. How is this funny? Sure, I'm getting a response back, but if you don't like a joke.. tell me. You say you were just joking back. . . Were you? How is it a joke if I cannot respond back? A ban disallows me from speaking. If I'm not allowed to speak, I cannot give a retort. Thus it is NOT a Joke. If you want to make a Joke... make a Joke.. but if you want to piss someone off. Do it directly, not indirectly.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
This was a Journal Entry of mine. I don't get too many people reading mine, and so I posted it here in General Discussion for that reason. What do you all think about this, mainly the second paragraph. I mean I have yet to hear someone give a joke where they don't expect something in return. I also have yet hear someone give a joke and expect a fist in return. Has the line between Joke & Insult gotten too thin? What do you all think?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62