View Single Post
Old 02-07-2004, 08:46 PM   #34 (permalink)
powerclown
Junkie

I don't go for Bush's version of Offense as Defense.

What did we accomplish by taking over Iraq?

Q) Did we deter other would-be terrorists from attacking the US?
A) Short-term, maybe, long-term, hell no. We are now World Enemy #1, dead center in the crosshairs of every maniac with a grudge against the US. I believe this is just the calm before the storm -- the enemy has a looooong time to regroup, and will.

Q) Did we deter rogue nations from wanting to acquire WMD?
A) Not in my opinion. A leopard doesn't change his spots, and Gadaffi, for example, is a proven predator. Is it truly to be believed that he revealed his WMD only because he feared reprisal? Might not the release of crippling sanctions be his motivation? Hell, he can go back and get his WMD off the black market AFTER billions and billions are pumped back into his country. I also believe that rogue nations will also seek to exploit the rift created between the US and its allies in Europe. Will Europe sit idle again, while the US contemplates going after, say, Iran?

Q) Have we destroyed Al Qaeda?
A) IMO, No way. We arrested a few of the top leaders...big deal. I'm sure this hasn't stopped or even slowed down recruitment. Hastened it, most likely. For every top guy they got, there will now be 100's of rich, educated, capable men waiting to fill their spots. Look at the culture of the Palestinians. Dressing their children in bomb suits, state-sponsored education of hatred. Picture this scenario in Muslim countries worldwide. An assembly line of future leaders for Al Qaeda.

When the US says they are extracting their Military from Iraq in August, the fact remains that whatever government comes to power will be seen as a puppet government, and will be under constant internal and external pressure and hostility. Those who point to Afghanistan as an American success story are premature. There are daily attempts made on the Afghan President and his Cabinet's lives. He is constantly surrounded by American Military security. The country outside of the city of Kabul (where the majority of the American presence is) remains lawless, corrupt, and rabidly anti-American. American soldiers are still being targeted and occasionally killed by insurgents or bandits or god knows who. Foreign aid groups are constant targets of violence and intimidation. To underscore this concern look no further than a major springtime US military operation upcoming, the largest military effort against the re-growing Taliban since the original invasion. Wonder how much press this will get..

Bush would be realistic in his concept of Offense as Defense only if it included finishing off the enemy completely. Total anhiliation and re-colonization. This is dealing with the enemy realistically. The enemy is not interested in talking things over peacefully. This is the dilemna.

Last edited by powerclown; 02-07-2004 at 10:40 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62