View Single Post
Old 02-05-2004, 12:35 PM   #23 (permalink)
Superbelt
This vexes me. I am terribly vexed.

Quote:
Originally posted by onetime2
It's not the only possible reason just the one that some people choose to believe. It's kind of like "Pleading the 5th", there are many reasons one could do it but most people assume the person doing it is guilty and trying to hide it.

Another perfectly plausible possibility is that he's giving the Dems (and Kerry and Clark specifically) something to focus on that he knows can be proved wrong. It's certainly more feasible than the theory that some float about how Osama is stashed away somewhere and will miraculously be "found" just a week or two before the election.
Yes it is the only possible reason. Pleading the 5th is to protect yourself from self incrimination. If there is nothing wrong with his service record there is no reason not to release it. It would actually help him among veterans to release that information. He is dodging the issue.

That other possibility isn't plausible because Bush got hit with this the first time around and never felt the need to finally reveal his record and be vindicated before the first election.
And recall that that election was so close that Gore ended up winning the popular vote. And came within 500 (counted) votes of winning the state.
I think that before THAT election just may have been the proper time to release your record.

Face it. There is prescedent to release your military records. Everyone has done it. There are questions surrounding his record including his commanding officer in Alabama saying Bush never reported to duty there. Releasing the records, if he truly did serve honorably, would vindicate him and make this issue go away. His refusal to release them can only mean one thing that there is something incriminating in those files. And the only logical answer to that is that there is a period of him being absent from the service that would show him to be absent without leave or possibly Desertion.

Ya know, I actually think him being proven to desert the armed forces in the middle of the Vietnam War may actually be a deciding factor for many veterans.

Last edited by Superbelt; 02-05-2004 at 12:38 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62