View Single Post
Old 01-29-2004, 11:49 AM   #25 (permalink)
lurkette
My future is coming on

Moderator Emeritus
Quote:
Originally posted by Strange Famous
Anyone who has read Animal Farm could not fail but to draw the connection between the sheep and those who put down and laugh at people when they try to tell the truth.
Truth != strongly held opinion

If you have evidence, state it. If not, quit blustering about being the lone revolutionary voice for truth when all you have is a bunch of half-baked ideas based on speculation and jumped-to conclusions.

Quote:
I don't know that Blair ordered Kelly's murder, but I think, from the available evidence, it is far more likely that Kelly was killed than it was a suicide - we know that he feared for his life once his name was made public.
Again, if you have this evidence, please state your sources.

Quote:
We know, and everyone knows - that Blair lied about the 45 minutes claim, he knew this was false, but he wanted his dodgy dossier to be sexed up - we know for a fact Blair is a liar.
No, we know NOW that the claim was false; we know that the dossier was based on shakey intelligence. There's a huge difference between making a bad decision based on bad evidence and having little interest in waiting for better intelligence, and knowingly lying. Again, unless you have evidence that Blair knew beforehand that the claim was false and deliberately lied, you're making claims that can't be backed up.

Quote:
And now the BBC is being torn apart, by this crooked enquiry - the people in charge of my country are liars, crooks, butchers and dispicable turncoats.
Yeah, join the club.

The BBC made as bad a choice as Tony Blair did, going public with information that was not verified to the standard that it should have been. You can't hold them to separate standards.

Quote:
Lurkette - Michael Moore's speech at the Oscars seems to me to be a reference to something George Orwell said:

"When you live in a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"
See above about the definition of "truth."

Quote:
This seems never so relevant than when looking at Blair the Liar, Blair the crook. The anger I feel at this blatant miscarriage of justice really makes my blood boil; and all the complacent people who just say "oh well, the Hutton inquiry proved Blair was telling the truth, Saddam Hussain had the power to bomb surrey at 45 minutes notice with nerve gas, so of course we had to go to war..." make me so angry and so sad.
See, here's where you're putting 2+2 together and getting 47: The Hutton inquiry does not prove that Blair was telling the truth nor does it verify the 45 minute claim - it merely states that he did not insist that the claim be inserted into the dossier knowing beforehand that it was false. If you ask me, it is a much more powerful argument against the war to say that the systems for gathering intelligence in the UK and US are deeply flawed and should be examined, than to blame the entire thing on the duplicity of two powerful men. It's a systemic vs. an episodic argument, and would make much more difference in the long run, holding our governments to a higher standard of evidence-based decision-making, regardless of who is in office.

You assume that simply because I don't buy into your loony toons conspiracy theory that I support Blair and Bush and support the war. Far from it! I think that B&B let us down horribly in relying on sloppy intelligence, not taking the time to verify very serious claims, and ignoring the advice of qualified experts who questioned their judgments. Incompetence is as serious a betrayal as dishonesty as far as I'm concerned. I'm simply saying that your arguments that you've presented so far are based on some kind of fantasy and do more to taint the anti-war argument than a dozen Hutton reports.

- Anatole France

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62