View Single Post
Old 01-18-2004, 10:44 PM   #7 (permalink)
Scipio
Mencken

If you really look at things closely, Dean is to the RIGHT of Kucinich, M-B, Sharpton, Kerry, Clark, Gephardt, and Edwards.

He's strongly pro-gun, fiscally conservative, and on the whole, socially moderate. In my mind, the two big issues that give him a bad rap are his opposition to the war and his intent to repeal the entire Bush tax cut.

Although he supported civil unions, his position on the issue meant that he took flak from both the left and the right in Vermont. Leftys over there wanted the whole taco: marriage, full rights, etc. All gay couples got was essentially an extension of some common law rights (like inheritance, medical visits) that straight couples take for granted.

When the budgets of other states were making gruesome budget cuts, Vermont was spending the surplus that Dean built up during his years as governor.

Dean was a pro-business governor. He governed from the center, and often drew flak from liberal activist groups for his positions.

What are his weaknesses? He comes from a different political tradition than people in the south do. That's where this whole religion thing comes in. In the Northeast, religious rhetoric isn't mixed with politics as much. Less "God bless America," more secular (but not anti-religious) populism. Naturally, a politician who hasn't had to worry about politics outside of his own state for quite some time might not know too much about giving stump speeches in south Mississippi. Speaking differently in different parts of the country isn't an indicator of insincerity, but of a politician who is at least somewhat competent.

Dean has been successful not only because he taps into some kind of abstract anger. He's successful because he has the most money, the best campaign staff, the best ground operation, the best internet operation, and possibly the best media operation. He's also a pretty decent candidate.

========

Aside: Personally, I prefer Edwards of Clark. Edwards is a huge policy nerd, and he has some really great and well developed ideas. I'm also from Arkansas, so I also have a soft spot for Clark. Either one (or any of the others!) would be just fine with me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54