Thread: Whats better
View Single Post
Old 01-16-2004, 10:33 AM   #19 (permalink)
bltzkriegmcanon
Holy Knight of The Alliance

Quote:
Originally posted by BuddyHawks
I use Musicmatch Jukebox for audio, and Windows Media Player for video.
Gee, I'm sorry. MusicMatch Jukebox has to be one of the most bloated out media players I've ever seen or used. It WILL bloat your system out, and cause everything else in your operating environment to significantly slow down when it's running in the background. It's up there in the shitty bloatwarez annals with Real Player and just about anything by Roxio. Speaking of programs that bloat like Real Player, MMJB, by my experience, also has the wonderful compunction to overthrow the previous default program you had for opening the file type of your choice. For example, installing MMJB will automatically oust WMP or whatever else you had before and set itself as the default program for playing mp3s. For the user that doesn't know the difference between a good, fast program like Winamp, which on the entry-level average computer (one that has at least a 1.6 - 2.4 GHz processor) will open up in less than 2 seconds, compared to MMJB which, on average, takes at least 10-15 seconds to load. Well, to the person who knows or cares nothing about speed of access or having all media files be auto-opened by shitty programs like Real Player and MMJB, well, I guess you can go with that.

However, if you're anything like me, have 10000+ mp3s and desire a program that can open in say less than 3 seconds, no matter how many mp3s you've got in there, then Winamp is the best program, IMO.

WMP is an alright program, from my experience. You can do better, as far as codec's for different types of video encoding go, but, as a general programs go, its still pretty good. I would suggest as an alternative to WMP, Divx. It has a really good general set of codecs to start out with, and it's pretty swift.

Quote:
Originally posted by BentNotTwisted
Same here, I find they each have their best use. Musicmatch doesn't play video clips, which Media player does reasonably well. Media Player sucks at managing your MP3s, but Musicmatch has a great music library capability. I have 27+ Gb of music and using Musicmatch's library to find music is really fast.
One letter. J. That's gotta be the best innovation I've ever seen in a playlisting program. Just hit the key 'J' and bam, you can type in the name of any song in your playlist and be instantly taken to it. No searching, no hitting next, just type in the name of the song/artist and you've got it. If you have 500 or less songs in your playlist, then this feature might go unnoticed and unappreciated, but if you've got more than 1000, then jumping becomes a friggin lifesaver. Also, the navigational abilities of Winamp are hard to contest, being able to go back and forth, pause and stop, just by using certain keys on the keyboard makes the entire experience easier.

The password is "Who are the Patriots?" and "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo." "La-Li-Lu-Le-Lo." Gotcha.
- The Colonel and Snake, Metal Gear Solid 3

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73