View Single Post
Old 01-03-2004, 05:54 PM   #26 (permalink)
Endymon32
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by harry
Hey that utopia of yours sounds like a nice place to live. Why not make it happen? As you wrote: "people today, right now, want communism" - well then I dont see any real problems. Fortunately I have already worked out a plan (tried it out myself when I was still a student and a bit of an revolutionary as well) :

Starting tomorrow, go and talk to your familiy and friends about your ideas. Try to convince them to put all their income into one common pool. From that pool every contributor will be assigned a certain amount of money according to his/her needs as you have described above. The remaining money should be used for common needs, e.g. a shared car (electric powered, of course) for the community, a room for meetings etc...

In time there will be enough members and financial power to buy a small business that will be run according to the rules of the community. It will do well because everyone works hard ("out of pride" and for the good of the community). The wealth and membership will grow steadily - finally the financial power of your community will lead to political power. At that point you've got yourself a movement.

Well I guess you get the picture by now. I'm sorry to report that I myself didnt get quite so far. My family are all left of the middle politically and some are active social democrats (im from Austria) - still none of them could be persuaded to take part in my plan. I ended up with two friends of mine (students and as broke as I was) - it was fun though and our 'commune' lastet almost a year.
Go and give it a try. Maybe you are more successful.

Anyway - I can think of several points why a 'truely communist' society probably wouldnt work, but in all likelihood we will never find out for sure, because people dont want to get involved in the first place. Im afraid there are much less idealists around than you seem to think. sorry, man.

Harry.

Lovely post. No kidding, but you know the automatic responce will be, off course it will fail, because the massess are brainwashed by capitalism and cant see the greater good. So Strange Famous has an automatic failsafe for his arguments built in. He created an ivory tower that he can not be pulled from. He is no different than that guy in teh Scopes Monkey Trial that claime god can do anything and as such couldnt loose his argument.
When off course there is mountains of empirical data to prove SF wrong, he discards it with " they were not true communists," or "the world is brainwashed into accepting capitalism, etc..."
And I bet that SF will not even attempt what you suggest, cause it is work, and he also sits smug in knowing that its doomed to failure because of those "meddling capitalists"

I suggest he go to an island with likeminded people and form a commune totally self sufficiant and cut off from the poisons of capitalism, and see how his Utopia lasts.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73