View Single Post
Old 11-25-2003, 01:23 PM   #20 (permalink)
wilbjammin

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonduck
Me: Society determines morality. Individuals interpret morality. Moral relativism is acceptable across cultural lines as we are ill-informed of the conditions under which morality arose in other cultures distinct from ours.

You: Individuals determine morality whole cloth. I lack the perspective to be able to discriminate and judge, thus all morality is relative and of equal value.
Close: I would add that there are a lot more people like you out there than me. I would add that there are cultural moral standards and individuals do interpret morality. Then they have to choose for themselves if they wish to follow these standards of if they don't wish to. Following the standards without making an active choice is then an implicit choice. For most people who violate these standards (except sociopaths, which you do love to hearken on) there is a difficult moment of realizing that they are doing something other people would consider to be immoral. People tend to agree with their culture's morals because they make sense to them. I make judgements all of the time about what I would do if I were in another person's situation, but I am also sensitive to the fact that others don't value the same things as me, don't think the same, or may in fact be mentally ill.

Quote:
This is one step removed from solipsism. If you claim to be incapable of definition and discrimination due to the limited perspective of individual existence, how do you relate? Why make argument for anything at all? Such a lack of perspective should, logically, lead to apathy and inaction simply because you cannot make any sort of discrimination between what is right or wrong in any given situation.
Yeah, it is one step removed from solipsism. I can decide for myself with being presented with facts about a circumstance what I think I would do in another person's shoes, but I can't do that for them. That anyone would act against their own personal morals is a tough leap for me, also.

Quote:
Thus, a person could steal your car, murder your own mother, violate your dog, and bomb your house of worship, and you will still not consider them immoral? Let's turn the question around. Are those moral acts then?
Well, I'd be pissed off. I'd think, "How could someone do this? This is sick." I'd have a lot of trouble trying to understand why they did it... and I probably could never figure it out. I could very possibly ruin my life, and I might never be able to forgive that person for doing it. I may wish that the person be locked away forever and have silent fantasies of torturing them for the rest of their lives. For me, this is so obviously against what I would call moral for myself, that calling it immoral would be ridiculous. It obviously would be immoral for myself. I guess my last post didn't make it clear enough for you, about what is included in my definition of what would be immoral to me. So, let me try it again:

"Immorality in my view, is only when I act against my personal morals. That is it."

At the same time, I am constantly discerning what I would do in other's circumstances. Would that be right for me, or wrong for me? and, of course, why? I think generally, when people say "oh my god, that is so immoral" what they are saying is that they don't understand how someone could do that, and for them it is absolutely wrong. It is the application of morals onto another and then making the assumption that if they didn't follow those morals then it was immoral - because they didn't do what you would do, or what the culture says you should do.

I think for you to understand me it would be helpful for you to think of it this way - those actions would be terribly immoral for myself.

To get back to the Social Contract, which seems to be tripping this up... it is the equalizer. It is there for people that want to act against the culture's morality, not the people that follow it (except to comfort them). The self-interest of many to have order and predictability in society gives the Social Contract some meat to it, if you will. For the many of us that don't want our cars stolen, mother's killed, dog's violated, and houses of worship bombed, we make laws protecting us for that happening. Additionally, I can debate with people and try to convince them that these are bad for whatever reason that I don't like them.

Quote:
Not "can't", it is "won't". The pathology of sociopathy shows consistently that the afflicted person chooses how to act. It is not that they are incapable of moral discrimination or moral action, it is that they choose immorality and then fail only to feel the common guilt, shame, and concern for consequence.
And that failure to feel what normal people would feel is what prevents them from caring. The actions are not immoral for them, because they don't care. The best I can say for it, is that they act amorally (defined as "Lacking moral sensibility; not caring about right and wrong").

Quote:
First you say "I don't have access to the inner-workings of peple's minds" then you follow this with "I have to assume that everyone breaks a social moral code out of personal moral reasons". Please show how this logic works. I can't visualize the leap of intuition this took, nor can I fathom the tone of internal consistency. You also then state "Every action has intention behind it or is done compulsively, morals are implicit in this.", and this makes zero sense to me.
I have to assume that people violate the social moral code for personal moral reasons, or else they are not acting logically in the least. People do what they think is in their self-interest, though not necessarily always what they think is best for themselves. In any event, all decisions have choices and different value considerations. It might be easy to say, for instance, that there are exceptions to this, but I absolutely think there is not. For masochists, they get something out of hurting themselves, hurting themselves is right them them. For sadists, they get something out of hurting others, hurting others is right for them. For martyrs, they get something out of self-sacrifice, self-sacrifice is right for them. Etc etc. The exception to acting with intention is acting compulsively. Both may apply to any of these examples. (i.e. I intentionally or compulsively hurt others, and I get something out of it) Morals are implicit in this, because for themselves they are showing what is right or wrong for themselves through their actions.

Quote:
You are actually of the opinion that mankind should simply be turned loose on each other sans any sort of moral compass, in hopes that each will, of their own accord, decide to live and function in alignment with society and the social compass.
No, just about everyone has a personal moral compass (sociopaths excluded, of course). Morals don't spontaneously appear, knowledge is a cultural creation. The decision to vary radically from social norms requires an individual of either an exceptional mind, insanity, or simple stupidity. And actually, I'm of the mind that most people do exactly that - most people's moral compasses align with the society and social compass they live in. Not that they should or shouldn't (though I think it is a good thing personally). They do.

Quote:
What if the police officer does not consider it moral to protect others? Must a police department screen its' prospective officers deeply for moral structure as well?
Then they are quite an exception. It is an easy assumption that most police officers value order and duty and law. No need to screen for moral structure unless a sudden epidemic of police officers unconcerned with the safety of others emerges.

Quote:
One argued that man was inherently good, and that strong leadership was required only to assist in bringing man together for great works. The other argued that man was inherently evil/selfish, and that strong leadership was necessary to keep man in line. Man's inherent lack of internal moral compass meant that external persuasion must need be provided.
And it is provided. I cannot think of a single culture that ever existed in the world that did not have some sort of established moral principles that they operated under.

Quote:
You have argued for total moral relativism on every level out of lack of perspective, and to such an extent as to being entirely unwilling to call even the most base and heinous actions immoral.
Only for the person involved. For myself there are many immoral actions, and others have demonstrated what those would be.

Quote:
My position invites review and discourse. Yours removes differentiation and thus devalues morality as a concept entirely, making further discussion basically irrelevant.

Is there any reason to continue?
I don't know, if you don't like what I say, you don't have to keep responding to me. That's up to you. If my position doesn't "invite review and discourse", then you probably don't have anything left to say.

Quote:
I'm sorry, but you have lost any veneer at all of credible awareness of the outside world.
And if that's how you feel, why are you debating with a madman?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73