View Single Post
Old 11-22-2003, 02:20 PM   #14 (permalink)
wilbjammin

Quote:
Originally posted by Moonduck
Macro-scale: I find the Caste System in India to be unjust by my standards. However, it is not my culture, thus while I may question it via Western morality, I am not truly equipped to judge it. It is, after all, what works for them.

Micro-scale: The murders done by the Manson Family are morally repugnant to me, but as I am not a member of the Family, I am not truly equipped to judge it. It is, after all, what works for them.

I would agree, in essence. I have trouble with the word "perfectable" as I am not of the opinion that anything can be truly perfected, but I can certainly agree with the idea that morality evolves. As to Darwinian overtones, they are natural when one speaks of evolution.

etc [...]
Ah, now I understand what you're saying. I just disagree. I am a champion of choice, a perennial existentialist above anything else. I choose, and would choose for all mankind... that is, I find that my morality and actions backing up my morality are what I would choose for anyone else if I were in their shoes. I would prefer that others gain their moralities through Good Faith, but I accept it when they don't. I can think of many "morally deficient" actions that I would be indifferent to or maybe even have support of.

"There is no justice; there are only limits" - Albert Camus

We do not have radical absolute freedom, and yet I don't feel personally bound by anything to follow standard cultural morality and attempt to impact structural change if I find something I do not wish to follow. Of course, generally I follow standard cultural morality out of convenience and agreement, and there are some things I am willing to work towards creating social change for. Ha, I guess you could say that my "moral deficiency quotient" is low... but it does exist and do not abhor it in the least, in myself or others (even if their "moral deficiency quotient" is high). If I disagree with the action (meaning I think to myself, "I would not do that personally"), this only helps me decide for myself. We tend to like macro-level morality because it does ensure property protection (including that of personal safety). I agree that I like these things generally, but there are exceptions. I think of "Do the Right Thing" when Mookie breaks the window in the pizzaria and starts a riot. This would be a morally deficient act that I don't have a problem with. I wouldn't personally do it, I didn't think it was particularly helpful in any way, macro-culture wouldn't like it, but the choice was his. Or to address your Manson Family example, I personally disagree with what they've done, but I understand that they made a moral choice that had meaning for them. I don't like it, but I don't view it was immoral either. Like your example of traveling to another country, I don't like child abuse, and my feelings may have me acting against it, but I understand that the person who abuses children does it because he or she thinks that is the right thing to do or does it compulsively (needing mental help).

All there are is are choices and consequences. Morality is a representation of the interaction between action and beliefs. Right and wrong is still determined by the individual. Stepping in line with the macro-culture is as valid as stepping out of line with the macro-culture... the only difference is that there may be some hard consequences for stepping out of line. I understand your feelings on the matter, it just doesn't ring true to me.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73