View Single Post
Old 10-04-2003, 12:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
raeanna74
I'm not a blonde! I'm knot! I'm knot! I'm knot!

My mother who specialized in learning disorders such as those listed is certain that I'm ADHD and maybe even Dyslexic. If I am it is very mild but I don't believe that I am. I did take stuff as a young kid for a while but don't remember what. I just zoned out then and couldn't do anything.

As a teacher I have worked with Dyslexic, Autistic, ADHD and Hyperkinetic among others. I have mostly worked with those kids who were ADHD.

I remember one little girl who could not concentrate or sit still in class. She was constantly wiggling in her chair and unable to get her schoolwork done in the amount of time that the other kids were. She was very bright and could understand concepts easy but actually doing the work was difficult to keep her on task. She had been on drugs (I do not know what) and they had messed her up so much that nothing at all got done. Her parents took her off the drugs and she was still able to do the work. Her parents worked with her every evening and checked to make sure her schoolwork was done. It was a lot of work for her to concentrate and a lot of work for me as a teacher to keep her on task.

I have worked with children on mainly Ritalin and one child who was taking St John's Wort. The one one St John's Wort did succeed in getting more work done and concentrating better but still had to work at it. I've seen some kids who could not do without the medication because their problems were so severe and other's who were able WITH guidance and help to accomplish their tasks. I think if are able and you have someone who can help you and show you different ways of concentrating and developing coping skills then you can eventually go without drugs alltogether.

I have in my files a number of things a student can do to compensate for some of the problems that they have. If needed or desired I will be happy to look them up. I have seen St. John's Wort work but you can't use that if you are girl and on the pill it will cause problems. There are a few other drug interactions that you should check on it. Also when reading - especially for Dyslexic laying a sheet or just a strip of red cellophane on the page for some reason (I can't remember what right now. I'm a bit rusty) can help you follow the words better and keep your eyes on the page. Another thing you can do to help train yourself is to break up tasks into much smaller portions and set a timer for each portion. You can push yourself to complete a small thing easier when you aren't thinking about everything else that you have to do.

I hope these thoughts were what you were looking for. Glad you feel free enough to post here. The motivation to get other peoples outlooks and suggestions may carry into your ability to overcome some of the things that hold you back. Good Luck.

Last edited by raeanna74; 10-04-2003 at 12:19 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73