View Single Post
Old 10-04-2003, 01:19 AM   #30 (permalink)
flamingdog
Still fighting it.

I've smoked regularly for the past three years, and since January, have been smoking practically every day.

In that time, I have graduated from university with a good degree in a tricky subject (philosophy), set up a theatre company and got a good job as a journalist.

I am never late for work, I never miss a day, and my work is routinely praised as being of an excellent standard.

I will admit that I'm a bit fuzzy for the first hour or so of getting into the office, but I could show you one or two other non-drugtakers who are just the same.

In recent weeks, I have secured a promotion to a senior level of staff, as well as a three-grand pay rise. I own my own car, a proper hand-made suit and a decent pair of brogues. I live independently.

I'm not sure if I'm addicted at this point. I know in the past I have been able to take or leave weed for months at a time, but since I have been working this hard, it's difficult to turn down the offer of a joint since it just puts all that stress into the background. I know I would be able to stop, say if my supply dried up completely, but I wouldn't be happy about it. As someone else said, I would miss it just like I miss anything else I do regularly, drinking tea, surfing TFP. Does that mean I'm addicted to them? Arguably.

Naturally, there are health risks, and I know I'm not doing my body any good. But there comes a time for everyone, straight-edge or not, when nothing is going to save you.

Ultimately, you're on this planet for a very short time. How you use those years is up to you. I can't look at someone who lives only on oxygen, water and exercise and think 'that looks like fun', just as they can't look at me and think 'wow, I'd like to try that'. My philosophy is that before too much longer I'm going to be dead. I might as well do the things I like while I can. If I can look back on my life on my death-bed - even if it's weed that put me there - and feel content, then I'm not worried.

But don't even dare to call me a loser.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62