View Single Post
Old 09-26-2003, 12:44 PM   #33 (permalink)
water_boy1999
Fly em straight!

Couple examples of how Affirmative Action doesn't....or shouldn't work:

When I was in high school, a girl in my physics class was one of the worst students in school. She had a 1.2 GPA and she was admitted into Stanford because she was an American Indian. She slept during class, didn't participate in sports, no extra curricular activities, yet was accepted into Stanford. I graduated with honors, participated in school sports, was a member and chair of several academic clubs, etc....but wasn't admitted to Stanford.

A good family friend workd as a Shift manager for a road construction contracting outfit. He was forced to bring in a more diverse workforce. He told us stories of how several ethnic groups were brought onto his team, none could speak english, and it turned out to be a nightmare communication wise, not only that but it was more dangerous for his crew because he could not effectively communicate orders to his team. It took much longer to complete their contracts in a timely manner and the quality of work decreased.

Again, in high school, there was the Spanish Club, the Indian Club, the Afro-American club, the Vietnamese club, etc.....but when a good friend of mine wanted to start her Aryan club, the school administration almost expelled her because they said it was unethical to allow a white club because whites were not considered a minority group.

I am highly opposed to AA. I think the general concept of making a more diverse environment is good, but to shove it down our throats the way our government has done is not acceptable. In the majority of the U.S., people of different races, for the most part, stick to areas of their own race. Sure, there are diverse neighborhoods out there, but the majority seems to stick within their own areas of culture. If there is no effort to intermix neighborhoods and make it a more diverse environment for all, how does our government think it will work in the workforce, or school, etc...? AA is used because there are conditions of income class that don't allow some cultures to have the same benefits as others. Is this unfair? Or is is it the fault of those people who don't strive to get out of the financial hardships they are in? AA was created so all people will have an equal opportunity to pursue equal employment, education and quality of life. But all it ended up creating is a pissed off white culture, an unbalance in skills transferrence in the workforce, and bias on educational acceptance. In short, AA blows!

-Homer Simpson

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73