Thread: X-Box RPG's
View Single Post
Old 09-17-2003, 05:06 AM   #12 (permalink)
Lasereth
Knight of the Old Republic

Quote:
Originally posted by UnlikedOne
KOTOR and Morrowind are actual RPG's, in reality, PS2 doesnt have many of those, now does it?

In my book, final fantasy, xenosaga, most any "RPG", really isnt. They are going away from what they are supposed to be, and are creating this linear time bullshit idea, that doesnt allow you to roam freely.

Final fantasy X wasnt an RPG it was a god damn adventure game, nothing more.

Last time i checked, RPG meant ROLE PLAYING GAME. where you were a theif, fighter, mage, paladin, and you played out that role, in a free and open world. and you didnt run around playing blitzball in an unavoidable series of events that give you no choice.

/end.

Still, my points are quite valid, imo, anyone beg to differ?
FFX was very linear, but some people play RPGs for an amazing story, not the ability to do whatever they wanted. You can't really argue that KOTOR is any better than FFX in the linear department, either. Sure, there are side quests to do, but when it all boils down, you have to follow the main plot in the game or you can't advance. I'm not saying that's a bad thing. Morrowind was a cool game, but I found it very lacking in the story area. Some RPG's excel in story, some excel in non-linear gameplay, and some excel in other areas. KOTOR, FFX, and Morrowind are all excellent games, and definitely all three RPGs. Each game simply has advantages and disadvantages over the next one.

-Lasereth

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54