View Single Post
Old 09-08-2003, 08:32 PM   #23 (permalink)
Booboo
Insane

Grr well I just had a good bit writen and I deleted it somehow.. so I'll try to rewrite it condensed:

This was monstly all World/US history.. I was lucky to have him for both

- Look into Howard Zinn's "Peoples History" My teacher used this as well and tried to stay away from the textbook. In the textbook you will not find such detailed accounts from the days of Columbus.. these are the kinds of things he taught us. Not the common misconceptions. (Columbus is the best example.. there are others though)

- Pissible idea as in projects is to have a lot of debates/
discussions.. if your class is at least a little outgoing. We did this a few times during the year and it was pretty fun (as far as school work goes)

- He had us draw the US without looking at a map. Was interesting to see how bad they were. This lead into learning the states. We did it again afterwards to see the difference. (The first and last ones were not graded=P )

Thats all I can really remember right now.. hope some of it helps. If I can think of anything else i'll post it.

Edit: We also did games like Jeopardy. Splitting up the class into 2 teams and whichever won got a few extra points or a quiz or something. Extra credit will make the kids happy =P stuff like understanding that sometimes people go blank ect. if you see a kid who you know knows what your teaching but somehow does really bad on a test, maybe offer him something he can do to make up some points.. not enough to warrant an A or anything, but sometimes just that little bit makes a difference.

Also.. now and then do a really easy pop quiz that should be like an extra A. Like 10 easy, but important points your trying to teach. Stuff like this and the above makes kids like you more and usually they will get more involved.

And I dont want to sound like I'm telling you how to teach or anything =P these are just some things that My history teach.. and a few others did, that gave them good reputations among the students. It also keeps some kids from cutting your class =P

Good luck

Last edited by Booboo; 09-08-2003 at 08:45 PM..

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54