View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 11:58 PM   #21 (permalink)
smooth
Junkie

I don't think that people paying taxes have the legal right to vote--that's absurd, isn't it?

I stated that our nation's founders fought and died for the belief that taxation without representation was a worth a revolution. Given that historic event and the amount of immigrants we have in our state, we might want to reconsider our official policy before the original dwellers of our awesome region get angry enough to try and reclaim it. Or we can let them join in our prosperity--we sure have profitted from their labor, I don't see anyone denying that.

I'm not going to argue with you over whether our voting agency checks citizenship when it verifies voter elligibility. It simply isn't relevant because if even if you are correct then the solution is to check people's citizenship status while they run their background checks--not use it as an argument to deny a license.

Exactly what do you think is stopping people from falsely registering or obtaining picture ID right now? When was the last time you had to verify your citizenship? I suspect it was the last time you obtained a new job. I didn't have to do it to get my license, I didn't have to do it for school, and I don't have to do it every time I go across the border. I'm surprised that you think someone can't walk into the DMV right now and lie to obtain his or her licensce or registerr to vote.

Have you noticed that our registration forms have a box that asks if you are a legal citizen? I'm picturing a scene where the votes in California actually exceeded its legal population...that would be funny, actually. What would happen? Would the minimum wage finally increase even though these immigrants earn less than the minimum wage regardless? Would they ensure they received emergency medical services and education--wait, they don't need to, our courts decided that. Would the state finally slide into the Pacific if an assorted number of immigrants (who have no respect for the rule of law or democracy, according to some pundits) got it into their heads to break a law they viewed as unjust and vote anyway (careful here, we could be on to something--civil disobedience in the most revered form: women's suffrage, civil rights, the FIGHT FOR A RIGHT TO VOTE!.

I can't believe I'm even arguing this with you. Both political parties argue for the sanctity of the right to vote. You can't even argue that such rights only extend to recognized citizens of the country--our Republican led congress and President just steamrolled two countries to install and perpetuate democracy--the right to vote to people unrecognized as citizens by their respective official governments. The rest of the world already knows we're hypocritical. Now its up to the 6th largest economy to disprove that notion. I'm not ashamed to admit that our agenda will spill over onto the rest of the nation. Those people are rightfully scared. It takes a lot to work 34 million people into a political frenzy--we are truly like a big, fuzzy, brown bear. We slumber so peacefully in the winter but my god don't poke us with a stick, especially during the summer, or we'll do some crazy shit and rip whoever is poking us a new asshole.

I don't know if you are a republican or not, but your analysis of this certainly mirrors their rhetoric. So I might as well warn you that republicans have been poking the silent majority here with a pointy stick for some time now...

"You measure democracy by the freedom it gives its dissidents, not the freedom it gives its assimilated conformists." -- Abbie Hoffman

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73