View Single Post
Old 09-04-2003, 05:38 AM   #21 (permalink)
Darkblack
Banned

Quote:
Yes, some common sense would be great.
Glad we both agree.

Quote:
Sure, if my gun is in my pocket and Bruce Lee gets the drop on me, I'll probably get taken out.
Where else would your gun be if you got mugged or attacked? Do you walk around with it in your hand? If so then I agree you can probably draw your weapon before you are attacked.

Quote:
How likely is this to happen?
Not likely

Quote:
Common sense tells you that the vast majority of criminals are NOT smart and/or are martial arts experts and that an aware person can usually spot trouble coming in plenty of time to draw and fire.
Exactly. Criminals look for the easy way to do things. Like getting a gun. I never said the criminal would be the one with martial arts skills or proper gun training for that matter. Please document cases where people new trouble was coming and drew their gun before hand. Also document whether or not they were arrested for pulling a gun in public for no reason. You cannot draw your weapon without do cause.

Quote:
your statement is spurious since your whole position is that people are better off learning martial arts than having concealed weapons. Obviously this argument is next to useless for the aged and physically infirm. (Mr. Myagi again notwithstanding).
The aged and physically infirm could not draw a weapon fast enough to stop a mugging either. Which is why whistles, alarms, and pepper spray on key chains work so well.

Quote:
is far easier to learn to use a gun that it is to learn a martial art. I would have no trouble placing bets on a fight between someone with an hour of firearms training against a person with 20 years of [insert random martial art here].

2 - I can always shoot you faster that you can disarm me.
I guarantee you that if you are within distance to mug me I can disarm you before you could shoot me. I also guarantee if I was mugging you at gunpoint I could blow you away before you could draw your concealed weapon.

Keep your guns because they make you "feel" safer but do not argue that martial arts training is not far superior at protecting yourself than a hand held weapon.

Use logic. A hand held weapon that could be taken away from you or your body as a weapon. Which is better, more efficient, and easier to conceal.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54