View Single Post
Old 04-23-2003, 02:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
sixate

Baseball hits bird, player could face charges

LINKY

I could give a shit less if this guy would have cut this birds wings off. It's a bird for christ's sake, not a baby. If he gets fined or gets jail time for something this dumb I'll go nuts. Get some drug dealers off the streets. Punish parents who beat theeir kids. Lock up drunk drivers. Put OJ in jail. Fuuuuuck! This is driving me nuts. Let's worry about dumb shit like this when we do a better job of taking care of bigger problems.

Quote:
Baseball: Wild(life) pitch under investigation
Minor-league Cubs player strikes out at osprey in nest

Posted: April 23, 2003
5:40 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

A minor-league pitcher in the Chicago Cubs organization has created a major flap after aiming for and knocking down an osprey from its perch with a baseball.

Jae-kuk Ryu of the Daytona Cubs could face animal cruelty charges for striking out at the bird Monday night at Florida's Jackie Robinson Ballpark.

"The bird's eye was gushing blood," Chad Efron, a trainer with the Port St. Lucie Mets told the Daytona Beach News-Journal. "I started yelling at [Ryu]. I got all fired up."

The bird, known locally as Ozzy, had been nesting with its mate and chicks on a 40-foot light pole over left field, when it was struck after several pitches by Ryu during pre-game practice time.

"He laughed when he missed," Efron, said. "Then he acted like he was sorry when the bird was laying there."

The osprey is being treated for a serious eye injury at the Animal Clinic of Edgewater, Fla., where veterinarians are using anti-inflammatory drugs and are trying to get Ozzy to eat.

"We're just keeping him warm and quiet," said technician Jennifer Rosenfeldt. "It's unfortunate that people don't have respect for nature."

Officials with the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission are tight-lipped about its investigation into the incident, but it says ospreys are recognized by the state as a species of special concern, meaning their habitats are vulnerable.

Wounding or killing one is a second-degree misdemeanor, punishable by a fine of up to $500 and 60 days in jail.

"You can't intentionally harm an animal," said Daytona Beach Animal Control officer Melody Baum. "If somebody deliberately threw the ball, it's animal cruelty."

Team officials are still trying to determine details of the incident.

"I've got to look and see what happened," Cubs manager Rick Kranitz said. "I'm sure the intention was not to kill the bird."

According to WKMG-TV in Orlando, angry phone calls and e-mails have been pouring into the park, with most messages suggesting the pitcher be punished for his actions.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73